Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who can tell me more about my old G&L bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inseam, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have an old G&L SB-2, with two J-style pickups. From some web research, it looks like it must have been made in the 1982-84 range because of the pickup configuration. I bought it used in 1990. It seems to be in very good condition, the only real fault is a chip on the E-string edge of the fingerboard that doesn't seem to affect the sound.

I know very little about basses. I have played guitar off and on for the last 20 years and until recently hardly ever played the bass. But about a year ago, I was drafted to play bass in a garage-ish rock band and am really liking it. I hope to keep playing bass, take some lessons, etc. I'd also like to expand into jazz someday, but that's probably far away.

So, I'm just curious what I've got. Is this a bass that I can use indefinitely, or am I going to outgrow it quickly? Is it known to be flexible, or is it a one trick pony? I know these questions depend on the user, but I want to know what the reputation of this bass is. What kinds of players tend to like it or dislike it, whether there are any common problems to look out for, that kind of stuff. Thanks in advance.

2. Yep, it's no good !

Can I have it ?

3. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Uh, sure. The bass is in the mail. :) So, five G&L basses aren't enough for you?

Off-topic, I got married in your neck of the woods. Beautiful area.

4. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice link;) Great to know my 1982 L2000EF is highly collectable in japan :bag: It has strings back on it now, and I love it!

Your G&L will serve you well and long, enjoy!

6. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, an excellent link. Thanks.

7. I hate to say, I am really at 9 G&L's...... :meh:

Got most of them when nobody cared about them and got them cheap compared to todays pricing ! :p

Thanks, been here since I was born.

So, was it shipped UPS or Fedex ? :hyper:

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    While the SB line was designed to be lower cost compared to the L series, they are fully pro level basses. It's not something you're likely to "outgrow" like a student model bass.

10. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Hey FenderJazz68, I'm catching up to you -- I've got 6 G&L's. Better go out and find an old Interceptor if you want to stay ahead!

Seriously, great basses. You'll probably not outgrow your SB. G&L is still the best bang for the buck, IMO.....

Here's my "new" (97) L-1505 that just arrived last week, in the InCase double bag I bought after asking the Forum for input. Sweeeeet!

11. Yep, I still need an Interceptor.... :mad:

Was looking at the one on Ebay that was sweet but too rich for me right now.

Looking for a JB-2 and may pick up a L1500.