1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who coats fingerboards and how much will I pay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, May 8, 2010.

1. So, I finally got my hands on a fretless and while it sounds great ever since I've wanted a fretless bass I've wanted one with a coated board, be it epoxy, mylar, polyurethane or what have you. I think that a good 75% is because I like shiny things but I'm sure it could add at least a little more mwah to my tone too (though my Schack has quite a bit to start). I know HG Thor does amazing stuff but there's no way I'm waiting 2 years and paying that much to have it done. I'm kinda leaning towards Pedulla but I want to know what other options I have. So who else coats boards and how much can I expect to pay to have it done?

A pic of the bass in question just to show off :D

IMG_6539.

2. hehe, this thing got buried quick! bump for info :)

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I recommend Carl Pedigo, longtime head luthier for Lakland. He now has his own business and still works in the same shop (he does warranty work and R&D for Lakland, too).
    http://www.chicagobassdoctor.com/

I have good friends who have had him coat their boards, and his work is stellar. Also, his fretless setups are nothing short of amazing by all accounts. I don't own a fretless myself, so I don't know the cost. But he's done repair work and setups on my basses, and his prices tend to be quite reasonable. He's great at what he does and an excellent guy to work with as well.

4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I had my fretless coated and set up by Carl....he IS one of the BEST fretless set up guys in the business! you can ask him for maximum mwah, minimum mwah or medium Mwah and he will dial it in EXACTLY for you.

as for the set up and coating prices, I would send him a picture of your bass and the neck do he can get an idea of any refin he might have to do on the neck itself.....

I can tell you that I LOVE the coating he did....the ebony has a nice glean to it but it did not effect the sound or feel AT ALL!

and -as Greg said, he WILL take care of you!

5. Kevin Kaufman is the guy that did the Bass of Doom for Jaco. There is a TB'er having a Jaco tribute bass neck done by him NOW. I don't know what he charges, but you can check out the thread in the Luthiers forum, under Jaco Tribute Bass build. The O.P. is bassgod76, you could send him a P.M.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Another good guy is Mike Dolan in Santa Rosa CA. Excellent work, reasonably short turnaround time, fair prices.

7. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
  8. I find it funny that I've heard of all of these guys but haven't thought about contacting them to have my board coated, lol. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm still thinking about it of course but it's nice to have a selection :)

9. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Kwesi,
    Kevin Kaufman, Jaco's luthier did my neck. His epoxy is a bit softer, so you'll get a warmer mwah with his technique. His main luthier Holly does the necks now based on his specs and techniques. I was impressed with the outcome. If it means anything, Will Lee bought a Fender CS Jaco Relic'd Jazz, and sent it to Kevin to have the neck redone.
    Good luck!