Who cooks here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by peteswanson91, Jun 29, 2005.

1. peteswanson91

peteswanson91 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sick of practicing.....need to cook......who enjoys cooking here??? What do you like to cook??? Do you like to use lichiten to enhance your foams of parmasean like me??? So bored
  2. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I am very passionate about cooking. When I retire in a couple of years, I am going to become a professional chef as a matter of fact.

I have photos of my batterie de cuisine (my cooking gear) if you are interested.

There isn't anything I don't like to cook (so far!). I've done catering for folks, and I've also done dinner parties for people as well. Finally, I've attended classes here at the local community college, and also a one-week continuing ed course at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY.

Here's an example of my handiwork ... enjoy.

3. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I'm big on cooking too. Just got a new set of globals, I am very excited.
  4. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I've got Globals, Henckels, Wusthof, F. Dick, Kasumi, Kyocera, Mac, Shun, Messermeister, Forschner, Sabatier, and Glestain cutlery myself. Figured out after buying over sixty pieces of professional cutlery that I prefer the heft of German style knives to Japanese ones (though I love my Shuns ... they're awesome!). Pics below ...

5. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Right on Jason, Thai food is the best.

One of my favorite non-Thai dishes to cook is chicken Marsala. My trick is to cook some Marsala wine in another pan and reduce it a bit to make it more intense before I add it in. Sometimes I end up using half a bottle or more... :)

I make a vegetarian version too (using fake chicken). I'm trying to avoid meat when I can.
  6. I am definately an amatuer, but I love to put on some good jazz music and cook. I enjoy cooking Thai (curries and pad thai and soups) and just made my first attempt at making some sushi. Turned out pretty good, I think.

7. Alan -

Very nice presentation! Looks delicious, too.
  8. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I like to cook and haven't eaten in a restaraunt since last August. I like things involving lots of meat and lots of hot peppers. Oxtail stew, peppers stuffed with venison, goat roasted with vegetables, grilled halibut... I also brew my own beer.
  9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've been cooking since I was ten... it's a rite of passage in my family. My goal this summer has been to cook everything on the grill. veggies/carbs/pizza/etc. I can't figure out how to do grains, though!

There are so many cuisines... it's hard to pick one... but vietnamese comes up near the top of my list. And anything seafood/fish, as well... escolar with cumin/chile powder... jumbo shrimps marinated in cheap beer, fresh lemon, and old bay... top round marinated in balsamic vinaigrette w/melted goat cheese... new york strip w/bourbon and sweet vermouth glaze...