Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who could do this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonorous, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    While looking at the Roscoe Beck IV, it occured to me that they're really really sexy. It also occured to me that I want one. Then it occured to me that there are too many knobs and switches for me. So my dilema is... where can I get a bass that has the Roscoe Beck body shape and pick guard, but J-bass pickups and electronics?

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You could get a regular 5 string Fender Jazz. I imagine that's what you're asking for.

All it shares with a Roscoe Beck signature bass is the fact that they're both Jazz Basses and they're both 5 string instruments.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    No no, I want a J-bass with a Roscoe Beck pickguard. Also, are the body shapes on the J and Roscoe the same? They look a lot alike but I think I detect just a tad of difference.

4. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    As far as I see it, you have two options: One is to get an RB5, and figure out where you want to park the little 3way switches, and drop them under the pickguard and leave the rest of the bass alone. Option 2 is to buy some sort of "similar" jazz 5, with 4+1 elephant ear tuners (brice douglas 5) and have a pickguard cut that will fit it and look like the one on the RB5. I have played with an RB5 for a while, and it is currently on my GAS list as well. I am no rocket surgeon or brain scientist, and I found the layout of the RB5 to offer LOADS of tones with minimally confusing switching. My first post, been lurking a while.....

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Isn't there an RB4 now?

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think for little things like that, you're probably on your own, then. Having Fender's custom shop make you a Roscoe Beck V with standard 5 string J-bass pickups and electronics, but keep the Roscoe Beck pickguard and body shape (if the body's even different, which I doubt) would be an exercise in making yourself insane.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Just get some pickguard material and cut one yourself. Allparts, LMII, and StuMac all sell the stuff.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Umm, just imagine that I put an insane smiley face here.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Put it beside a retarded smiley face, to denote what you are now for wanting to reverse engineering a mass-produced instrument just so you can keep a bodyshape that probably isn't different at all... and a pickguard.

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I always liked the RB due to the fact of its massive tone options provided with the switches n stuff. But I guess each to his/her own, if you get an RB5 or RB4 built by the custom shop guys, I don't remember the body being offshaped but I know the neck is (argh spelled it wrong in the Celinder thread too, let me try this again), assymetrical. :p looks like I spelled it wrong again. Someone buy me a dictionary! :smug:

11. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    You *like* the shape of the Roscoe Beck scratchplate? :eek:

I'd like to know where I could get a RB with no scratchplate! :D

Russ :bassist:

12. I love it. :D :D :D

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok so I'm not going to do all that. I suppose I'll just save for an RB4. Or make a pick-guard.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just get the danged RB4 and leave all the switches in one place. That way, you get what you want, and everbody thinks you know what all those switches do. On my RB5, both microswitches are back, pickup selector in the middle, tone knob pulled out, and tone knob adjusted to about mid-point. That's it.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - when I owned an RB5, it seemed a pretty simple setup to me and all the options sounded good anyway. Roscoe designed it so he coudl get the sound he wanted quickly on stage and in practice, it's really easy to use.

But who says you have to use or change settings anyway...:meh: ?

16. Asymmetrical. Single S, double M. :)