Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who could live a life of celibacy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The sex drive is something you cant turn off but just deal with, i am realizing how difficult it is to be celabate and refrain from all sexual activity. I know i can do it but my God it is hard. Who could give it a try:confused:

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I think the question should be Why would you live a life of celibacy?!?

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    We woodchucks are a fornicating type species, so by nature, I couldn't do it! :p

4. ...dead right!

- Wil

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Monkeys are horny little varmints, as well... with the big, red, swollen butts and all.:D

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Pacman That is what i bring myself back to and i realize this is my call in life my slot in the big picture, so it is worth it it is just learning to control the drive.

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've not quite understood what good celibacy is supposed to do. And I'm not trying to be annoying, just curious why God would want a person to deny one of the more basic drives we have been given?

The Bible, and even more the churches, are full of contradictions when it comes to their rules, and many of them are created by man for reasons of control and power.

8. I do lead a life of Celibacy.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You're not alone.

Uhh, hmm, sorry, perhaps that was the wrong wording. :p

10. I'm celibate.

Not by choice. :rolleyes: ;)

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm with you on all points there, Anders.

12. Why the heck would you "refrain from all sexual activity"??? Are you some kind of a straight edge person??? :confused:

Edit: Oh wait, I think I misunderstood you. By celibacy, do you mean living a religious life? If so I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Go for it if you feel "the great call". :)

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Does this include masturbation?

14. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Me too... :(

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    :D

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    One would assume...

I don't know why, except for religious reasons, that anyone would want to. However, I do applaud them. That takes dedication... It's like quitting before you start ;)

17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    One would assume...

I don't know why, except for religious reasons, that anyone would want to. However, I do applaud them. That takes dedication... It's like quitting before you start ;)

18. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Heh, good luck with that. A life of abstinence from sex is a dangerous thing. Why do you think priests have sex with young boys?

19. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    My thoughts.....

(If you don't like them, sorry. :) )

He only asks us to deny that basic drive outside of the boundaries of marriage. Within a marriage, its all good :)

Think about all the things you avoid when you have a monogamous, marriage relationship with a "closed" sexual environment - no diseases, no children without a father or mother, no emotional scars when one partner "moves on", etc...

I think God tells us to abstain simply for our own good, not to deny us some "basic" need we have...

As far as contradictions go, I'm not sure I have seen any in the Bible. Can you actually list any? Have you read the entire Bible to make sure these "contradictions" you are talking about are accurate? I'm not trying to start a war here, but I'm just asking out of curiosity. I hear that statement alot from various people, but I have never seen one who could give any specific examples....

Again, just my 2 cents...

:bag:

20. If you don't include masturbation, you can achieve complete celibacy through simple laziness. In fact I have, and for no better reason (male, age 23 and going strong).

If you do include masturbation, all bets are off.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.