1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who counts their change (coins)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by shadowtippy, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I'm in the habit of not paying attention to the coins I receive when I get change back from a purchase. I take note of the bills but rarely notice the coins. After all, how big of a mistake is going to be made with the coins?
    What brings this up is: I got stuck with a Canadian quarter. It won't work in vending machines because it is smaller than a real quarter and I wouldn't feel right about trying to pass it on to someone else.
    I guess I could make a trip to Canada to spend it, but that's an awful long way to go for 25 cents. If anyone is in need of a Canadian quarter, I could make you a deal on it, but I'm not paying postage to send it via USPS.

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I just throw all of my change into an old tea bottle, then take it into the bank when it's full and use their free change counter. Then I go to the counter and exchange it for bills :D

3. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I have a quick glance and if it looks roughly the right amount it gets thrown in my pocket with the rest of the change, if I've had any foreign currency I've never noticed.

4. Just try and pass it off as a real quarter when you are paying for something in the shop?

I usually have a quick glance to make sure it seems right, but don't pay too much attention. I have had various European currancies given when it should have been a similar coin. I tend to keep them in a separate jar of foreign coins.

Copper change tends to end up in a jar, silver change tends to get kept in pocket.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I live in Michigan, probably a quarter of the quarters around here are of the Canadian variety.

Usually pocket change gets thrown in the change jar whenever I transfer the contents of the pockets of one pair of pants to the next. Then my wife counts it up and rolls it when it gets full.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I save all the state quarters I get. I heard a rumor a few years ago that a few of them didn't meet regulation weight, so they will be worth big money. I have a couple gallon jugs full, so I should probably find out if the rumor is true, and then see if any of them are extra valuable.

-Mike

7. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I used to live in Maine and you could use a Canadian quarter just like a U.S. quarter (except they wont work in vending machines). Then about a week after I moved to Virgina I tried to use a Canadian quarter at a Food Lion and the cashier threatened to call the police.....for counterfeiting.

8. Canadian quarters are the exact same size as American quarters, it's just their composition that's different.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    They'll stick to a magnet, but I think the dimensions are just a little different. That's the only way I know of that will make a vending machine reject them but not a good old US quarter.

10. If they are the same size, why can I place the Canadian quarter on top of the U S quarter and see the entire rim of the U S coin?

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    After you apply the conversion factor, they're the same size.

12. Thank you for this one.

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    You're welcome. I like to help where I can.

14. I am OFFENDED!
    Calling a Canadian quarter "not real"?
    I find U.S. currency "not real".
    All the bills are the same colour! How do you tell them apart without taking time to look at the denomination, wasting valuable seconds at the counter?

Your dollar is the standard that all other currencies are valued against, so that makes it more "real" than others?
    Oh, wait. I guess it is real then, nevermind.

JK! :D

P.S. I usually don't count my change anyway. I seperate the toonies, loonies and quarters. Dimes & nickels go in one jar, pennies in another.

15. Perhaps you're not seeing with your ears. ;)

16. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    I keep my change in a sock!

17. Well, after reading all these posts saying that I was wrong, I went into my bedroom and rummaged around for a Canadian quarter. I found a 2007 one, and layed it on top of a 1998 US quarter, and guess what? They're exactly the same size! However, using dial calipers the US quarter is slightly thicker, .069 versus .061 for the Canadian quarter. Maybe that's why US vending machines kick out Canadian quarters.

18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Try holding the two quarters to a magnet. That's how vending machines do it.

19. I find it funny that my neighbours to the south, take so much offence about getting some Canadian change:eyebrow:
    A short couple of years ago, our Canadian currency (coins included) was actually worth MORE than the American green-backs.

As of late, we usually collect the change we get (which very regularly includes US coins) and use them at our local supermarket. They have those self-checkout machines where you scan, bag and pay for your own goods. Some have the old single-slot style while others have a funnel-like thing where you just dump in any change you have (much to the annoyance of people behind you LOL)and it sorts it out and puts it against your bill. Maybe we have different machinery up here, but US coins (including your pennies) seem to work in our vending machines...especially the ones for bagged milk:D

or...

You can always roll your change with a "Canadian surprise" in the middle :D

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I don't count my coins when I get change, but I have one of those digital coin banks that counts it. Up to $197 :) .

I responded to this thread though cuz I heard the oddest thing from my niece over the holidays. She said her boyfriend (20 yrs old) throws his change away. She had to work at making him give it to her instead. Said he empties his pockets, puts the bills aside, and tosses all his change in the garbage. I never heard anything like that before. Might be a Jersey Shore thing (where they're from) which might explain it all, actually.