Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who Dat?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SlapDaddy, Dec 13, 2000.

1. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Who is the bass player for "the news" I saw him in concert awhile back and was utterly unimpressed. (no flame,please) The rest of the musicians were very good and the concert was great! I KNOW I have an opportunity to be "enlightened" in this forum, so, please......'splain it(as my 4 year old says) to me.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Is John Pierce currently playin' with Huey Lewis & The News?
    The original bassist was Mario Cipollina(oddly, he even appears on Tony Williams' JOY OF FLYING album...a '70s Fusion disc).

4. in reply the comment by jimk

i love when you think a bass player is ok and then you hear him in another band your blown away, a example for me would be the guy from the band foriener, with them he seemed ok, he fit the band, but then i heard him on david gilmours first solo album and thought wow he can play

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Some people play for the song. I'm not saying that's what these guys are doing but I guess it's just human nature to assume someone will show what they can do every time out of the gate. I know I don't.

6. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Yes, Huey.........The guy played down strokes with a pick on every song. He wore sunglasses and smoked cigaretts(at least I think they were cigaretts) throughout the set. I'm definatly a student of "what the song calls for" and I think this is what made me curious about this guy in the first place!