Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who developed the " SunBurst" Finish ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 10, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Does anyone know who developed the Sunburst finish and who was the first to use it? , any background history on this classic finish would be cool. Thanks

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a planned or designed finish, but was done to replicate the wear on older acoustic guitars...I believe that 'french' polish finished guitars were pretty delicate, and would darken with age and the areas with the most wear would lighten in color thus giving a sunburst like finish.

3. MAJOR METAL

Thats very interesting , i never thought of it that way. Did Gibson have a style of Sunburst before Fender?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Here's a Gibson model that was built between 1908-23...it would definitely pre-date any Fender. But I would guess that gibson's not the first either.

[​IMG]

5. MAJOR METAL

If it isint already i think a book on the history of Guitar Finishes and colors would be cool.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    God did it.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Do you mean "The" Gibson? ;) haha

Mark

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Harp guitars made around the turn of the century were often made in sunburst to cover up sanding marks and blemishes. Heres a picture of a Regal - Chinery harp guitar. Also here's a 1935 Martin Sunburst, probably not covering up "any blemishes" when the built this one.[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

9. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    This is actually quite an interesting topic. keep the info coming... :)

10. [​IMG]
    :eek: whoa! more info on that thing plz :)

11. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    something tells me it started as an accident.

12. bet the craftsman that first had it happen to him thought it was a failure lol

His customer probably brought it back to his shop and complained that the finished got ruined.

13. marcopalla

marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    I've always tought that sunburst guitars and basses retrive the old violins and strings.
    Some of them looks really "sunburst" and are 200-300 years old, probably is also the age that makes this different color wood graduation??

[​IMG]

bye,
    peace

14. MAJOR METAL

Sure like " Violin Burst".