Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who did the most for bass evolution ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JayAmel, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Jeff Berlin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Jack Bruce

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Stanley Clarke

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. John Entwistle

20 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. James Jamerson

21 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Sir Paul McCartney

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. Marcus Miller

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Jaco Pastorius

72 vote(s)
    29.6%
  9. Billy Sheehan

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Chris Squire

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. Victor Wooten

8 vote(s)
    3.3%
  12. Bugs Bunny

8 vote(s)
    3.3%
  13. Every bass player contributes to this evolution

46 vote(s)
    18.9%
  14. Nobody yet reached what bass playing can give

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  15. Other opinion (please specify)

24 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Who do you think did the greatest job to contribute to the evolution of bass playing ?

All comments welcome !

All the best,

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    wheres the section on me?

:D :D :D hahahahaha.
    i voted for Jaco, i think he brought bass to be a spotlight instrument and he made alot of guitarists jealous. although everyone contributes in their own unique way.

later
    Lukas

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yup. Leo Fender pretty much got the ball as we know it today rolling.

4. John Entwistle-

if he hadn't popularised roundwound strings (Rotosound, in his case), the chances are that Jaco Pastorius, Chris Squire, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten and Billy Sheehan, as well as countless others not on the list eg. Geddy Lee, would be/have been thumping away on flatwounds without each of their signature tones.

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    DHC and Brendan beat me to it.

6. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown

Hear Hear!!!!!!
    Leo was the man....
    The Wickershams or Rick Turner might be a close second as far as evolution goes!

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If your talking bass playing, James Jamerson gets my vote. He accelerated the popularization of the electric bass as a real instrument as opposed to an oddity. He also was the backbone of Motown. When was the last time a record label characterized an entire music genre? It might not have happened without him. How many British rockers credit having listened to and studied "that guy that plays on all the Motown records" in evolving their sounds?

Jaco gets a close second for bringing the instrument even further out front, but he might not have gotten the opportunity were it not for Jamerson's pioneering.

If you're talking about the evolution of the instrument itself, hands down Leo Fender (playable electric bass guitar), followed by the Wickershams & Turner (active electronics, sound enhancing exotic wood combos), followed by Michael Tobias (affordable customization).

Peace,

James Martin

8. Newsted

Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    Greece(athens)
    i vote for Nobody yet reached what bass playing can give not that all the others bassist dont do anithing but fits true that we are only in the beggining of what bass playing can give:D

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...err...hmmm...yeah! What he said!:D

Mr. Bassist of the Millenium! The Ox! Big Johnnie Twinkle! Thunderfingers!

John Entwistle turned the bass into bass guitar. He cranked up the treble and was allowed to be heard. He was the first to solo in rock (My Generation). He influenced more rock players than just about anyone. He pioneered tapping, using more than 2 fingers, round-wound strings (Roto Sound), Marshall amplification, and so much more.

IMO, he's more deserving of the honor than anybody else, at least in rock music.:D

10. Larry Graham! He invented slapping, so that brought all that 70'a bassing into the spotlight!

form then on, id go with people like Geddy Lee, Victor Wooten....

the whole kit-n-kaboodle!:D

11. What, no space for Fi3lDy? Fi3lDy Is ThE MaCk DaDdY On ThA BaSs GeEtAr mAn!

Of course, I'm joking, but someone had to say it. :D

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    That's what I was thinking as soon as I saw the subject.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Although I truly love, respect and admire the art of the luthier, I cannot with any conviction say that Leo Fender or any other luthier contributed to the evolution of bass playing. The bass is just a tool, If james Jamerson or Jaco didn't have a fender (or for that matter an electric bass) their voice would have been heard in a different way. True musical genius will overcome the particular instrument obstacle.

That being said,

You've got to give it to James and Jaco.

James opened the door for all electric bassists. His lines where just so advanced for the time (even for our time) that he began to change the public (and the Music Industries) perception of what a bass could be. Unfortunately his genius was never truly realized during his life time.

Jaco single handedly opened the door for all bassists. Jaco redefined the role of the bass in the music. Jaco enabled us all to play melodies and harmonies, as well as the bass line. jaco enables us to be out front. Jaco defined that the bass could be a solo instrument as well as a soloists instrument. Jaco created the sound. Jaco made us all aware of how important intonation and rhythmic accuracy were.

Joni Mitchell probably said it best when asked why she hired Jaco, an electric bassist to play on a tribute to Mingus. To paraphrase Joni

If I wanted a bass player, I could have hired anyone. I wanted a musician, so I hired jaco.

Jaco made bass players into musicians.

Mike

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I love Mike Manring's work. Mike is my favorite, living bassist, without doubt. He is also a truly nice person.

Mike is the living proof of the influence Jaco had. He has burst through the doors that Jaco opened, created new doors and redefines the bass at every turn.

But the poll has to due with the evolution - and for that I must still go back to James and Jaco

Mike

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Ding, ding, ding!

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Jaco would have been the baddest Tuba player around - we would have been playing Tuba in the FRONT of the parade :p

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Who created the tuba? :p

I'd definately have to agree with Mike, especially since i beleive jaylanb is refering to electric bass playing. Considering that apes didn't evolve into apes, i would count out leo fender because he started the bass guitar, which is the starting point in this situation.