Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who diserves a signature bass????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by relman, Jun 2, 2001.

1. what artist do you think diserves a signature bass???

I believe that John Paul Jones diserves one, it's icredible the amount of bassists he has influenced. He rules!!!!!

I would have also said Paul McCartney, but he's got the hofner...

2. JJ Burnel of The Stranglers deserves a signature P bass- 70's style black w.maple neck (custom body wood- mahogany).

John Entwistle said in an interview that he still often plays P-basses, so a signature model based on "Frankenstein", the bass on Live at Leeds would be great- slab body, maple neck-
    and it would be a lot more affordable than his Status Buzzards..........

how about Mark King?

oh he has already? d'oh!

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I know he hasnt been around for a long time but id like to see steffan lassard from dabe mathews band get a custom warwick!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Everybody deserves a signature bass.
    Just go to a small bass company and order a custom (in the REAL sense, not the Fender/Ibanez Custom shop sense) bass.

There's lots of them around, especially in Germany, and their basses are state-of-the-art and kick butt - and are not necessarily more expensive.

5. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    i also think steffan lessard should get a signature series.

6. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    if I had a signature model bass, it'd probably be a $200 Squier.

7. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    Stefan Lessard definately deserves one....

8. let's send a letter to warwick!

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Two, actually!

10. er, just the two Angus?

let's see..
    Mark King Alembic
    Mark King Jaydee
    Mark King Fender Jazz (w. Simms LEDs-limited edition)
    Mark King Status Graphite headless (just about to go on sale)

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Donald Duck Dunn used to have a Made in Japan signature model, but I haven't ever seen one. He should get a REAL sig. model that a person would actually be able to find.

12. I'd like to see Tony Levin get a signature model, but he plays stock Stingray 5s anyway.

Of my favorite bassists, the following currently have or at one time had signature models:
    Jack Bruce (Warwick)
    Anthony Jackson (Fodera)
    John Myung (Yamaha)
    Jaco Pastorius (Fender)
    Sting (Fender Japan)
    Geddy Lee (Wal, Fender)
    Chuck Rainey (Ken Smith, Warrior, one other company)
    Chris Squire (Rickenbacker)

The whole signature model thing is kinda silly, though. Why is there a Michael Anthony signature Yamaha BB3000, yet two vastly more skilled users of that very bass, Jonathan Maron (Groove Collective) and Tony Kanal (No Doubt) get stiffed? Why does the very run-of-the-mill Rex Brown of Pantera have one, yet the godlike Steve Harris doesn't?

13. there is a Steve Harris signature P bass (made in Japan, with mirror scratchplate, blue metallic finish, badass bridge, Seymour Duncan p/up etc.) coming out soon.
    [​IMG]

hmmm, re. the Michael Anthony sig. bass, I think a better marketing plan for Yamaha would have been to simply market it as a reissue of the BB3000 (including all the new features eg. lightweight machineheads, extended cutaway etc.) and have all three users endorse it.

14. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    Mike Drint of Greenday. Mike Pritchard when he was born, mother a herion addict and didnt know his father, lived with adoptive parents till they split then moved in with his adoptive mother and stepsister till meeting Billie Joe Armstrong(Greendays lead man) and renting a room at his house from the age of 17 onwards. had a job as a chef where Billies mom worked till they toured for 18 months straight and the rest is history. for 15 years he has been laying down the most stoned out trippin riffs on firstly a Gibson G3 and now a Fender man.
    his model would be a 66 or 69 Precision bass reissue made to the EXACT standards of the vintage models. it would be a helluva lot cheaper than buying all the p basses he does. if you dont aggree then listen to the latest Greenday album and feel the bass and notice the sweet a$$ed tone.
    later
    Lukas
    PS and i would like to nominate myself cause i want more basses!hehehe

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    MTR....That's TERRIBLE! For a guy who such terribly UNbassy tone, he's got a lot of basses under him...yikes.

Uh, Ashton? :confused: What did the background help with? His bass is to run of the mill...it has nothing special on it, especially since they already offer RI's which cover those specs. Still kinda confused though...

Analogkid, you gotta take into account the fact that if an artist commissions a custom bass, it's more likely that they'll get a signature than someone who commissions a standard bass. For example, the Rex was a totally different design (uh, for Spector...), so he got the custom bass. If Anthony Jackson had ordered it, or Fieldy...they'd get the same treatment. He who orders a unique bass that isn't TOO out there will probably get the signature. Unless it's a tribute thing, like with the Jaco bass. Tony Kanal hasn't gotten a signature model because he plays a run of the mill BB, and etc.

16. Yeah same here, except with me, you could only buy it used, and in poor condition for less the $100.;)

17. jamerson already has one...

18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I just created my own line of signature basses. When I was in the music store the other day, I took a Sharpie pen and signed my name on all the headstocks. Uhhhh...I should have them paid for within the next few years or so.