Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who do the police take their orders from?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Mar 25, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Do the local police "have to" cooperate with the FBI, and the local, state, and federal governments? Or is it up to the police chief(s) in each precinct, to decide which orders they want to follow?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Local Police answer to their Chief. They cooperate with the Feds, but the Feds have no supervisory authority over them.

3. Everybody takes their orders from the men in the black helicopters.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The MIB.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well of course, the MIB being in charge goes without saying!

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not quite.
    Ever hear the word "jurisdiction"?

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    For some strange reason I'm betting he has. Am I right cheezewiz?

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yes Ed, I've heard of that term. Which part of it would you like to discuss? The Feds have no direct supervisory authority over local law enforcement. Are there cases they have jurisdiction over? Certainly. For instance....counterfieting and the Secret Service. Interstate kidnapping and the FBI. Bank robbery and the FBI. Despite what movies and TV say, most law enforcement agencies realize turf wars are counterproductive, and most work very well together.

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Like that episode of Reno/911.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yes they do. They may ask the FBI to step in when the State police force has jurisdiction, the county may ask the State to step in when it's a county matter etc.

But, if the Feds have jurisdiction it's not a matter of asking for co operation. It's their ball game and they are going to tell you where to go and what to do.

So the original question was " do the locals have to co operate with the Feds?". Your answer was no. My answer was 'It depends'. You then decide that what you really meant to say was that "in certain cases" they have authority.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Whats your point? It works both ways. If an FBI agent showed up at a homicide scene, the local yokel would have every right to tell him to get lost. I don't quite get how you are missing the very clear point. THE FEDS DO NOT HAVE ANY DIRECT SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY over local law enforcement. How could that be any clearer? Perhaps you should go back to posting as "Special Ed".

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Sigh. The Feds DO HAVE SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY in cases where they have clear jurisdiction. The case you cited (homicide) is one in which they DO NOT have jurisdiction and, as you say, they have to get lost if told. I'm just not sure why you say they DO NOT HAVE ANY DIRECT SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY over local cops in a kidnapping, interstate hijacking, robbery of an FDIC institution etc.? Because they do.

Since I have never posted as Special Ed, I can't go back to posting as Special Ed. Is that a concept you have trouble understanding, too?

13. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    :ninja:

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Alright, let's pose a couple of hypothetical scenarios. First, suppose there was a political protest on a college campus, and the governor wanted it shut down. But the local chief of police, didn't agree. What kind of situation are we talking about in that case? Would there be jurisdictional issues, or would that be a clear-cut case of local control, or would the state and/or federal authorities have jurisdictional input, on the basis of potential riots or something like that?

Second, in cases that involve federal crimes, like interstate transport for instance, if the feds have jurisdiction, do the locals have to cooperate, or can they just sit back and refuse to assist or provide resources?

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    This is like arguing with a brick wall. I am a police supervisor . If the local FBI guy showed up at my station, and said "Sergeant, you will have all of your patrol cars go to this section of town and do this"
    I would have NO obligation to follow this "order". Now realisitically, would I? Probably, after asking a few questions. If I refused what recourse would he have? NONE, other than calling my Chief who may order me to do it, but then I'd be following the Chief's orders, not the FBIs. The FBI has jurisdiction in some cases. The locals have no obligation (other than a moral one maybe) to assist on those cases in any way, although they certainly would, and do. Because a Federal Agent has jurisdiction in a case, it DOES NOT mean he can issue "orders" to officers not under his command, and local officers, unless assigned there by the Chief or other supervisory officer, would NOT be under his command.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Well damn how bout that. I guess my idea of jurisdiction superceding chain of command was wrong. So in a case of kidnapping, the FBI comes in and says "this is the way we're going to handle it" and the local chief says "nope", who wins? If the bank robbers are surrounded and some FBI guy says to some cops "Run around back so they can't get out of the window", do they have to check with their supervisor first?

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    OK. I give up. You win Ed. The FBI is in charge of everything. Im apparently not speaking English.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The FBI said I had to have a tuna sandwhich... but I wanted a PB&J. Fascist bastards.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah keep thinking sandwiches because that's all you'll be thinking of for a while.

brad cook

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "Oil and vinegar?"