Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who do we sound like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpankBass, Mar 28, 2005.

1. So my band is actually starting to do things lately - gigs, recording, creating a website, etc. And now that we are more "in the spotlight" amoung my friends and aquaintences, I often get asked "So, who do you sound like?" I have no idea what to answer to this question. I know our music is too damn generic and boring to be considered "unique," but I just simply cannot think of a band (or bands) for comparison.

Which is why I am turning to you, the community of superior music-related hunter/gatherers for answers. Who does Ambient Grey sound like? You can find out music poorly recorded at SoundClick.com

Try Too Long and Waiting Man for good examples.

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I don't know how to answer that question either. Nor do I know what genre of music we are. It gets really annoying sometimes. The best I can come up with is hard rock with clean vocals, that is difficult to play. I don't know, I'm tired.

Graeme

3. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    oldskool YES

4. huh?

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    First track: Candlebox
    Second track: Alice in Chains (kinda')
    Third track: ???

You don't necessarily sound like anybody in you're band isn't overtly trying to rip off another band or clone the sound of another popular band. If someone asks "who you sound like", I would just tell them that you have a hard rock/grungy sound and leave it at that. If you want people to come to your shows to check you out, the more specifics and details you give them about your music in an attempt to classify what you do, the more potential reasons you give them to not show up. ;)