Who do you like in Tex Mex or Latin Rock?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockinjc, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Who do you like in Tex Mex or Latin Rock?

Kind of a wide spectrum I know but lately my interest has peaked and I want to know more. I love playing along to the stuff I got on CD.

Like -

Flaco Jimenez - Ay Te Dejo En San Antonio
    Net Sublette - Cowboy Rumba
    Los Lobos - Del este Dlos Angeles
    Anything with Mark Rubin
    David Burn even!
    Heck I like spaghetti western theme songs for that matter.

How about you?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...first 3 albums or so + THE SWING OF DELIGHT(Tony Williams, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, & Herbie Hancock are some of the sidemen on this mid-'70s Rock/Latin/Fusion album).

...first album.

...their montunos sound more "authentic" than most.

The Fania All-Stars
    ...particularly their album called LATIN-ROCK-SOUL
    (Billy Cobham & Jan Hammer are guests).
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

....but I may be just a teensy bit biased ;) :D

(DISCLAIMER!! The mp3's on that site are not me, I just rejoined the band after a 3 year hiatus)

[Edited by Gard on 11-23-2000 at 09:01 AM]
  4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'm not into latin rock since i think that a rock tune sung in spanish is like a vallenato (a colombian pseudo-folkloric genre) sung in english, but i like some stuff by Maná. They are known as the latin version of The Police (keeping the proportions, of course). Pedro Aznar, an argentinean multi-instrumentalist (a great bassist!) who had worked with Pat Metheny has a valuable work as a soloist and with famous argentinean bands. BTW, In the late 80's a spanish band named "Los toreros muertos" ("The dead bullfighters") released a song named "Mi agüita amarilla" ("My yellow little water"), which i think was a cool and original tune because of its lyrics: It hilariously describes the normal travel of a pee after a guy who's drinking beer in a bar releases (...unloads? i don't know the right english word for this...) it in the W.C. :D Nice arrangement, too.
  5. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I prefer Roy Z's TRIBE OF GYPSIES. Roy is Brice Dickinson's guitar player.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sr Martin Alvaro Gomez A., you will laugh at me, but I love the "Spanglish" rock of Ricki Martin , Carlos Vives, Shakira, Ricardo Montener, Emmanuel, Lucero, Los Ilegales, La Machina, Carlos Ponce, Chayenne, Thalia, Ana Gabriel, some Marco Antonio, John Secada and the ilk. I also love and admire Santana and have done so since the late 1960s when he first appeared. At that same time I loved Herb Albert and his Mexican mariachi pop and also really was a huge fan of Sergio Mendez and Brazil 66. I loved the sound of music sung in Portuguese and tried to understand what they were singing. Little did I know I would live in Brazil one day and have to learn Portuguese. Oh, before that in the early 60s, I admired the work of Stan Getz(deceased), the saxophonist, who did so much to bring Bossa Nova to the United States. What an amazing and expressive saxaphonist!

I was privileged to see a Ricki Martin concert recently. The energy and enthusiasm was terrific and contageous. It was such a pleasant change from the angry, aggressive heavy metal I usually listen to.

Still, I know that many musicians criticize Martin's music for being "bubble gum pop" and watered down musica Latina. But I ask, so what, if the music makes me happy.

Jason Oldsted

[Edited by JasonOldsted on 11-27-2000 at 04:05 PM]
  7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Jason, maybe we should clarify what the word "rock" means to each of us. To me, the only rocker in your list is the great Carlos Santana. He plays latin music, but his real rock has very little to do with latin. Have you heard, for example "Over and over" from "Zebop!"?. This tune is a real rocker. Sometimes he fusions both elements, but he also makes a difference.

I love Stan Getz' music, but he's not a rocker to me. He's a jazzist. Herb Alpert and his Tijuana brass band is such a lovely ensemble, but i don't think they played rock music. Los Ilegales is a merengue band. Thalia and Lucero sing latin pop. Carlos Vives plays a really assorted fusion (starting with vallenato). Ricky Martin, Emmanuel, Ana Gabriel, Jon Secada, Ricardo Montaner, Chayanne and Shakira are balladeers (Sorry. Is this the right english word for "a person who sings ballads"?) who also sing some energetic songs. Same thing may be said of the italians Eros Ramazotti, Laura Pausini and the venezuelan Franco De Vita. BTW, despite the fact that we are from the same country, i must say that i like too much many of Shakira's songs, but i hate her vocal style.

Anyway, Jason, i'm so pleased you like so many latin artists, so keep enjoying them! :)

[Edited by Alvaro Martín Gómez A. on 12-04-2000 at 09:06 AM]
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Aye! Caramba! I guess I was being way too inclusive in the use of the term "rock" and absolutely, yes, Stan Getz was a jazz saxophonist.

Funny, though, while Ricky Martin does sing ballads (ie. Bella Amanecer), he has some music that is powerful and uptempo. His newest single, for example...She Bang (a stupid title) is hardly a ballad. Recall also, Shake Your BonBon. Plus his "breakthrough" crossover song "La Copa del Mundo" was no ballad either. In fact, high speed songs occupy at least a third of the songs on each of his albums, to the extent that in his last two albums, the uptempo single is sung in English, but appears again in Spanish. I guess that's why I don't think of him as principally a balladeer, a description which I agree fits Ricardo Montaner, de Vita, Carlos Ponce, and Emmanuel. Anyhow, Martin is a versatile and an exciting performer, but I know many, many people laugh at his music, just as they laugh at N'Sync, Backstreet Boys and 98 Degrees. I'm not sure why so many men (usually) criticize him. But my dad hated Frank Sinatra, so maybe the real cause is envy.

I actually like Shakira's vocal style. I think of her as the Colombian Alanis Morrisette. I don't like her new look, however, because I think she is trying to look like or outdo Christina Aguilera, which is needless, as Shakira is a star in her own right.

Actually, my husband is a bigger fan of Lucero and Thalia than I am, but I do like Laura Pausini and forgot to mention her. I have to say, however, that a Spanish accent bothers me a little. I guess because I lived in Venezuela and Brazil, I prefer Brazilian Portuguese and South American Spanish. That's just my personal bias. Somehow, I neglected to mention Monica Naranjo, who is Spanish, too. I'd call her music pop. I neglected Franco De Vita, which is embarassing as I lived in Venezuela, but actually he isn't one of my favorites to tell the truth.

I lived thirteen years in South AMerica and had a chance to hear many wonderful artists and styles of Latin music, from salsa, merenque, ska, soca, to the amazing musica carnivalesca of Brazil and bossa nova, plus Brazilian popular music, too. It was a wonderful experience.

Jason Oldsted