1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who do you make music for?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alex, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Yourself

36 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. Other people

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Carrots

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. I'm in this band that is instrumental. We are a big hit locally and are looking to expand, but recently we have come to a dilemma.

We are an instrumental band, and, as you know, instrumental music is not mainstream and if we remain instrumental we will never really become anything, but if we add a singer it will really compromise our sound and limit our musical expression, so we've come to a for in the road, which begs the question:

Who are we making music for? Ourselves, or our listeners?

If we are making music for ourselves, then we would stay instrumental, but if we are making music for other people then we would add a singer.

So what do you think?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you do it for the money, if you worry about the door, if you hope for future gigs, then you're playing for other people. No sin in that, its the time honored thing for musicians to do.

If you don't care about any of that stuff and live for the time you can get with the other musicians (rehearsals and performances) then its probably more for yourself.

Ultimately, it has to be a mixture of the two. If no one hears your music then its kinda like that tree in the forest. If you don't care about the music, it will die.

3. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Well, both really. See Ill play anything that makes a crowd happy, because that is what I want to do as a music maker. I want to make people cheer, and I like to work a crowds. Because for me my joy come more from the music I make than the music itself.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Both, absolutely.
    IMHO If it were for yourself only why even bother playing out?
    That's what I like about music, it's a symbiotic thing, you feed the crowd and the crowd feeds you.
    My advice - think outside the box. Does it really have to be a singer or no singer? Maybe you guys can somehow work out a happy medium, get someone who can sing a song or two but also either jam with you guys, or lay back for the instrumental stuff? I dunno, just something to ponder..

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    In the poll, I guess carrots = both. At least for me...

Continue as an instrumental band and get as good as possible. A great band always have an audience. :)

6. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I voted carrots, which translates to "Alex's avatar".

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I play because I dig it.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You're a big hit locally right now. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Enjoy what you got going now and don't try to fix what ain't broke. It'll break soon enough.

IMHO.

9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Alex - make music because you have music in you, expressed for the shear joy of it. If people like it, great. Music is something so close to essense of humanity, it's unthinkable to consider a life with out music. The ability to sing, either with our vocal chords or through another instrument is bliss like touching the hand of god.

I love many different kinds of music and for me, I need to express many different kinds of music. When I play Bach I get a glimpse into the mind of a geneous. How great is that?

Making music to please others is fine, making music to express your heart is glorious.

10. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    I play because I like music. I teach music, because at least some of my kids can get that same feeling... I will play anything anywhere. I have been playing bass at church for the past few weeks. I will play some with my dad at his church over the summer. When I get back home in August, I am gonna look for some guys to play with...

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    First I love to play.
    To interact with other musicians.
    To exchange energy with a audiance.
    Get a groove going.
    And yes, I like to get paid.

12. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    for the band i'm in... i'm up there to provide entertainment and maybe slip em some excellent music whilst they're otherwise distracted...

it's not like 'selling out to the man' or prostituting yourself etc or all those other things that young musicians with no bills to pay go on about, it's just about respecting the fact we as musicians are entertainers and we're paid to entertain

most people don't really appreciate good music, so we give the 80% of the audience the entertainment they want and, y'know, give the other 20% the music... the band is 100% about playing and entertaining others... we wouldn't exist otherwise.. there'd be no point...

13. carrots, both. i play music that is either fun or emotionaly important to me but i also think of if i was in the crowd what would i want to hear that would get me going

14. If the crowd doesn't like the music they hear, they can go to another club. My music is from the heart as to express feelings that words cannot describe. It's like telling a painter to restrict themselves to bright colors as to be "pleasing" to the eye.

15. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    If and when, then it's for me. If I like it, then it's good. If other people like it too, then it's great. :)

16. i used to play for myself but then hated everything i played, and i sure as heck wont play for someone else so i voted carrots.

17. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    100% for myself, but that's easy because I never play in a band or even jam with people. If I were in a band I might see comprising that slightly, but it'd still be at least 95% playing for myself / the band's interest. If others can accept your sound, great, if not, they can listen to whatever other music they like.

I've always personally thought of my own music as an expression of myself, and to take into consideration another persons feelings when I play seems like compromising what music in itself is about to me. I could see doing that some for a band to keep it cohesive, agreeable and so forth, but not for random listeners.

18. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Only people who really hear me play are my teacher, myself, and sometimes my family when I'm not wearing headphones. So I guess "myself".

19. I used to play exclusively to amuse myself. Now for the last several years only to glorify Christ and help to bring others into His Kingdom by using my gifts for church/worship services.

20. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    Rattman, have you noticed this change of perspective affecting your playing in any specific ways?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021