Who do you think is the best "Rock N' Roll" singer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 6, 2003.

1. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    Roger waters.

2. Thor,

Marty's voice was indeed excellent. But Grace would steal the show every time. At least she did when I saw them with the old lineup featuring Jorma and Jack - what a show!

Balin is also one fine ballad writer. "Today", "Hearts", and "Miracles" are excellent examples of someone who can REALLY write a song.

As the song goes, "They don't write songs like that anymore..no they don't."

And its a pity.

3. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I saw the old lineup as well, it was at Gaelic Park in Yonkers NY during the summer of '71.
    Hot Tuna played first.

By the time JA came on, the Experience was setting in, and I was walking around with a
    helium balloon tied around around my neck, hoping the friends I lost would find me. So I couldn't tell you who was better that night.

The only film clips I have seen were out of the somewhat poorly produced Monterey Pop Festival movie. High Flying Bird was a testament to Marty's talent. The clip which shows Grace singing 'Today' is out of sync until one realizes that you are seeing Grace playing the keyboards and mouthing the words, but HEARING MARTY'S VOICE. Apparently they never got any film of him singing the song. Or didn't figure it out.

And I always liked 'It's No Secret'. The live version on "Bless it's pointed little head' was awesome. Hard to miss when you have a heavy weight like Casady in the band.

Thor

4. Steven Tyler. Without question. Insane range, unique voice, ridiculous stage presence, all kinds of soul, etc. etc.

Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury are close seconds...

5. Yup, had to second this...

6. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Geoff Tate from Queensryche is my all time favorite voice, Roger Daltry's voice is a clsoe 2nd.

7. even when he got bloated and nasty-looking and sounded like a drunken hag.

gotta love chris cornell for the power and soul, and let's face it -- he's the sexiest man in rock 'n roll right now. however, audioslave is still overrated.

ronnie james dio never got the credit he deserved, and that boy has pipes. also sammy hagar, but i never dug that much of his music. same with steven perry; great, great voice, but those journey tunes were too girlie even for me, and i'm a girl.

i love steven tyler and freddie mercury, too. mercury had range and control, and tyler is just a great belter-out.

however, deep, deep down, i really wish Tom Jones had become a righteous rock star. c'mon, man! who can project like that tommy boy??!!!

:D

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm casting my vote for Glenn Hughes

James Dewar was right up there, too.

9. BEST? That's tough....

Here are my favs in no particular order....

Plant, Lennon, McCartney, James Brown, Freddy Mercury, Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, Janis Joplin, Ozzy, Bon Scott, Bono, Sting, Robert Smith,Greg Graffin, Chris Cornell, Gavin Rossdale, Kurt Cobain....many more, but this is where I stop for now.

Best is subjective...I would be honored to have ANY of these guys singing in the band I am in and there are many more....just what I could think of...

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Tacoma WA
    All Guys, guys???

How about Pat Benatar? That girl had pipes for days.

As far as the guys, I have trouble giving too much credit to guys that sound great on albums, but not so great live. These guys fall into that catagory:
    Freddie Mercury: Lots of melody adjustment live to avoid the high notes.
    Robert Plant: Same as Mercury.
    Roger Daltry: Hits the high, screaming stuff live but can't sing on pitch to save his life on the lighter stuff.
    David Lee Roth: Loved him on the VH albums. Doesn't have Sammy's range, but a lot more soul IMHO. However, major pitch problems live when he actually does sing (yaps too much).

Guys/Gals who sing as well (or better) live, as on albums:
    Geddy Lee (Rush)
    Steve Perry (Journey)
    Geoff Tate (Queensryche) He's letter perfect live!
    Sammy Hagar (Solo/Van Halen) Just sing, don't talk Sammy.
    Ann Wilson (Heart) In the 70's was phenomenal.
    Brad Delp (Boston) When you can hear him.
    Robin Zander (Cheap Trick) Very underrated.
    Mike Reno (Loverboy) Yep, Mike Reno! An old girlfriend took me to see them in the 80's and I sat there thinking, the whole show, "Why doesn't he sing this good on their albums???"

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    When I think Rock N Roll singer I think of Ozzy or Ronnie James Dio. Basically someone you'd be concerned would/could kick your ass, but you think would be cool to hang out with backstage because of the lifestyle circus!

12. AXL ROSE

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Tacoma WA
    ...is horrible live.

14. Def. Chris Cornell, although I think he was a little better when he was with Sound Garden.