Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who do you think is the most overrated band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I was just wondering who you guys thought the most overrated band out there now is? How about most overrated band ever? Personally, I think Korn and Creed are two really really overrated bands out there now, But that's just me. Tell me who you think isn't all they're cracked up to be.

2. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    U2 -
    They're popularity almost reaches levels of blind devotion, and I JUST DON'T GET IT.

IMO, their music just smacks of self-importance and it just puts me off.

3. I always thought Third Eye Blind was the worst band I've ever heard, yet they seemed to be really popular for a while there.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Considering the level of praise and success, I agree with dytakeda. How many times can the same musical idea be repeated? They seem to be really great guys but I couldn't stand being in the same band with a one-dimensional "guitarist" like Edge, a timekeeper like whomever their drummer is, and a lead singer who can't decide which pair of goofball, fashion eyeglasses to wear the next minute.

On a lesser level, I'd say Fear Factory. They were recently at the club I usually play. I was totally underwhelmed.

5. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    What about the Foo Fighters? They never did really impress me.

6. seville8

seville8

Sep 8, 2000
    Virginia
    How bout starting with EVERY boy and girl band record company creation....as for bands that have been around for awhile, I have to agree that U2 is a good choice for this category...I also dont get why Limp Bizkit is so popular?

7. rickbass

If it's any consolation, seville, the trade papers have reported that airplay of boys bands, a la N'Synch/O Town/et al, is trending on a decline. Speculation is surfacing that the phenomenon has run it's course. Who will be the next wimps????

8. i have to say that mudvayne is pretty damn overrated right now.

i can't see why the goo goo dolls are even rated at all.

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    That list for me is lomg but distinguished.

RHCP
    U2
    Dave Matthews Band-Although I think they have some good musicians, their music to me is like dry humping.
    Phish
    Greenday
    Tom Petty
    Any Boy Band
    INXS

I wont waste any more bandwidth with my list but you get the general idea. This is only my opinion.

Mike

10. I'd have to say Creed, Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit.

And Steely Dan

11. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir

12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    What a tough crowd. I was not impressed with Blink 182 (I took my daughter). And I will agree, not everything Creed does is to my taste, but wow, to say they are overrated is a bit harsh IMO.
    Now I am a self admitted old geezer (started playing bass in '68), but I like some of their tunes, I'm working on "One" and think the bass line is as good as anything I've heard recently. Thank goodness we gig in a state most of you have never heard of much less been to ;) (Utah)

13. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've have to say Travis and JJ72 - two bands US posters won't have had the pleasure of being acquiented with yet - are the most overrated bands I can think of - it's a bit galling when you see bands like them getting big when you think you're better. I've given up getting worked up about boy bands - and I've noticed the trend seems to be on the wane over here in England, too. Hopefully, the door will be open for us soon...

14. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    On a lesser level, I'd have to say Hatebreed. Their CD is, I think, 36 minutes long and it all sounds the same so you basically get a 36 minute long song. Their CD should be marketed as a single.

On a grand scale, I'd have to say Limp Bizkit. People always say they are awesome. They are not awesome. Their appeal is simply that they are a dumb band. Every genre has to have a dumb band and Limp Bizkit fills this role. Do they know they are a dumb band? I'm sure they do, especially if you've heard Wes Borland's side project "Big Dumb Face" (that stuff is just plain goofy). I'm not saying Limp Bizkit is a bad band, their angle is being a dumb band and they do it well. Too many people say they are a talented band. That, to me, is overrating them because they certainly haven't proved they are as talented as album sales has said they are.

15. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    WOAH DUDE!!! Do NOT put The Red Hots in this thread. I agree that Californication is not the best CD, but if you listen to any of their early stuff, you'd be a fan for life. Go get The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, or self-titled. I think the Beatles are the MOST overrated band of all time.

16. rickbass

Yeah, the title song, "Californication" is pure suckatation in my book. I saw the Peppers twice in a local, rinky dink, club after they broke big. They had to play there because of contractual obligations. They could have just showed up and jammed mindlessly and been done with the contract. Instead, they played a professional set and just blew UP the place!!!

As for the Beatles...if not for them, we'd probably be looking for Madonna CD's on eBay right now instead of posting here. Their initial success on that historic night on the Ed Sullivan show made it possible for all the rest, (the Who, Yes, Rush, you name it), to follow. The Beach Boys and the Byrds may have set the course for US music. I don't think the Beatles can be overrated.

17. Most mainstream bands are pretty overrated. Of course this includes all boy bands, hardcore, and other stuff. They can be good, but for the amount of praise they get, it can annoy me. When someone goes out and says Limp Bizkit is the best band there ever was I have to think to myself why that may be. I don't know. Buy anyway, that's just me.

18. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    Any band who sells out to MTV like Limp Bisquit or any band who plays the Super Bowl with Nsync & Britney as in Aerosmith i used to love those guys tell i saw that made me want to vomit!