Who do you tip?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sinker, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    It's Christmas time again, and I'm always confused on who to tip and how much.

So who do you tip? The garbage man, the mailman, the newspaper carrier? Do you give a little extra to the barber/stylist?

I'm usually pretty generous, but I'm never quite sure of the protocol. I don't think it's required, but is it expected? I mean, will the mail man give me extra junk mail if I don't tip him? Will the garbage man start leaving my empty cans upright with the lids on if I DO tip him?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never tipped a mailman or a garbage man. Maybe that is why my trash never gets picked up, and I get 5 lbs. of junk mail every day.:confused:
  3. Speaking from experience, you should really tip the paper boy.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I tip waitstaff at diners and stuff. That's about it, unless my wife tells me otherwise.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I like to leave the garbagemen a case of beer. I just set it in the trash can with a merry xmas note.
  6. I like to give verbal "tips" like: Wear your seatbelt, Always look both ways before crossing, Bet on Lucky Lindy in the 3rd, etc. Tips like that. You'd be surprised how helpful they really are...

I always wanted to start a "Single Airmen's bass Player Fund" and collect money from co-workers in the USAF...To pay off some of the gear...
  7. I tip barbers, cabdrivers, bartenders, etc.--and, of course, waiters. I left a >25% tip on a date tonight!
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :rolleyes: my garbageman's a crack-head and my mail
    gets stolen at least once a week.

tip? hmm...don't march behind the elephants in a parade [​IMG]
  9. Being a waiter, I really appreciate people who tip well or at least the right amount (15% you damn cheapskates). It really gets my goat when I bust my ass to give good service to people who appear to be decent people and would leave a decent tip, and to find out they leave 4 bucks for a $60 tab.
    I've learned to tell who'll be cheap and won't as soon as they walk in the door, but every now and again some people will surprise the hell outta you.

Basically, the reason you tip waiters/waitresses and bartenders is cause they make squat in salary and it's the decent thing to do. Your friendly local garbage man gets paid pretty well from what I've heard and is obligated to pick up your trash no matter what. I do like the case of beer idea if you know the guy and he's cool. Same with the mailman/woman. If you tipped one of them, then you'd have to tip a million other people that provide services. Water guy, Bank Teller, Drive Thru Employee, Mechanic, etc.

Oh and Peter, it's people like you that tip well that make me happy about my job at the end of the night. Very cool of you.
  10. I've never met my garbageman or mailman, and I don't get a newspaper unless I decide to pick up the campus freebie, so no tips for them. Usually an extra buck or two for the barber unless (s)he did a crappy job. I worked at a restaurant (bussing) for a month or two last summer, and while I never really stiffed anyone beforehand, seeing the pain and anger on the waitresses' faces when they got stiffed from a more "inside" perspective has made me much more careful about it...15% min, usually about 20%.

Pete - >25%? Okay, that must have either been some really good service, or you were just showing off for the girl :D
  11. The bill was $23, and a $5 tip probably would have been appropriate instead of the $6 I actually paid, but whatever.

12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Totally...I may be a poor college student, but I get sheer joy from overtipping for some reason.:confused: As long as I get 3 refills ( I drink a lot of tea..lol) I put down a 20-30% tip. If I get a particularly "nice" waitress i occasionally push the 40% line..just in case I harassed her too much ;) . Oh, and yes, tip teh paperboy or you'll be sorry....
  13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Im all about that!:D

I have actually gotten 2 tips....one for five dollars, the other for ten. Funny thing is, neither of the people were rich.

Wanna tip people in a non-monetary way? Call in to the place they work and compliment them. If you dont know their name, just give a description and most bosses know who you're referring to unless its a really big place.

I've been at my job just over a year and a half and I'm making more than some people that have been there 4 years. My boss tells me its because of the massive number of compliments I got right after I started working, along with the obvious job performance ratings. I was walking through the lobby today and a woman was talking to my boss and she made the comment "he is my favorite teller!". If nothing else it'll at least get you some brownie points!!

A raise is better than a tip anyday!
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm the same way. When I'm out with friends I always leaving the most for the server. Even if I only get a $5 or $6 dollar bill, I'll usually leave about $3 or $4, because I know my friends aren't going to leave that much. If I'm out with a date or something, where the bill would be considerably more, I usually tip around 33%. I've never worked in a restaurant, but I know that the wages are crap, and the servers really need a good tip sometimes. Especially if they're nice, but seem to be having a rough night.
  15. This is key.

8 weeks spent as a Wal-Mart cashier convinced me thoroughly of the need to treat service sector employees with dignity and respect. A simple "Thank you, have a nice evening" goes a long way.
  16. Waiters, barbers, Tim Horton's people.
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My wife has sex with the mailman and gives him a buck, because one year she asked me what to give him, and I said, "F*#K 'em. Give 'em a dollar."