1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who do you use in Philadelphia for Bass Work?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TNCreature, Mar 19, 2013.

1. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Hi, I work in Center City and live in the northern suburbs and I would love to get some recommendations.
    Please share your personal experience with successful relationships for general repair and modifications.

I haven't done too well on my own.

Thank you!

Mark

2. I would love to hear some answers on this.I live in south philly. I was taking my basses to DiPinto, but recently had two bad experiences. And paid top dollar for them both. So I'm looking for a new spot to take my basses as well. I just learned how to do a thorough set-up. And I'm so glad I took the time as that will save me alot of money.
    I have heard great things about www.bassspecialties.com/ but I have yet to stop in and see if they do repairs.

3. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Add one more Philadelphian to the list of people interested in this.

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Guys contact Glenn at Bass Specialites.

5. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    I live down in Wilmington DE. I do all my repair and setup work myself, hasn't been that hard so far. But if I had a cracked neck, I wouldn't be up for doing a repair. There is a local shop that mainly does repairs, D&S I think. Supposed to be good.

6. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    The last time I called Bass Specialties (well over a year ago) they told me they don't offer repairs. Which is a real missed opportunity!
    Very cool store though.

7. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Philly, PA
  8. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
  9. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    When I first moved to town I called Glen at Bass Specialties because I was contemplating a defret, he recommended the following two as great techs/luthiers. I didn't end up going through with it, so I can't echo the recommendation.

joe z guitars
    215-547-5639

audric
    pro line music
    215-736-8055

10. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Well that was a little redundant. Anyway one other thing Glen said is that he couldn't recommend anyone NOT ONE person in the philadelphia itself.

11. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    The best tech, by far, in Philadelphia isn't in Philadelphia. He is 40 miles south down I-95 in Newark, Delaware. His name is Dana Sutcliffe. He has worked as a consultant with Alvarez and Ampeg, among others. He is the only guy who touches my Alembics or old Gibsons. I do my own simple set ups, but Dana does everything else: fret jobs, nut filing, pickup rewinds, electronics work...and he restored my 1964 Amoeg B-15 a few years ago and diid a fantastic job. He is,the best.

Really.

I am not related to Dana or in business with him. Just a satisfied customer.
    Here's his website: www.danamusic.com

12. Envincibal

Nov 22, 2008
    Philly, PA
    Just to give you my personal experience with Audric ...
    I had a Carvin LB75 that needed some fret work done - when I got it back, it played better than ANY bass I have ever owned (Including my beloved Pedullas, Warrior, and Spectors). The fret work was amazing on it, and he made sure I was happy with it before I left the shop.

In another instance, my wife bought me new pickups for my Carvin 7-string guitar and the guitar needed to be routed to fit the new Dimarzios, and so I dropped off the guitar to Audric for the route and setup. When I picked up the guitar, I realize that there was a miscommunication on part (it was the John Petrucci Crunch Labs and Liquid Fire), where the pickups were in the wrong locations, and since it was my fault, I just told Audric that I would flip the pickups - he would have no part of that! He says to me that he didn't want me leaving unhappy (even though this was my fault) and that he wanted to make sure everything was done right and that he would remove the pickups and place them in the corrected positions - and this was as he was getting ready to leave to go home for the night. Twenty minutes later, my guitar was handed back to me, and everything was spot on! Setup was amazing and his route work was as if it were right from the factory - no chips, smooth clean cuts!

I took another one of my basses to another guy (pretty reputable, I won't mention any names - but he was not in the Philly area), and while the work was very good, he never adjusted the nut, which became very obvious to me once I started to play it (I have to contact him about that - again, I don't want to bash him on that - disappointing, yes, but everything else on the bass was very good). I had to make the adjustments on the nut; its not terribly difficult to do, but since I paid for a setup, it should have been done.

13. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Any idea where they are located?

14. Envincibal

Nov 22, 2008
    Philly, PA
    Pro Line is in Fairless Hills - a little beyond the Oxford Valley Mall

15. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks for all the input.... I live on southwest Chester County-not far from Delaware and this info will certainly help,

16. Pete Brown has done some really wonderful work for me in the past. He has a shop located in Collingswood (my home town) just across the bridge in NJ. It is a little shop, Pete only does only repairs and builds. I'll be honest, he takes his time with the work. If you need a bass by this weekend, forget it. However, he is great about keeping in contact with you letting you know what is going on. His prices are reasonable and he wants your business.

Give him a call:

http://www.southjerseyguitarrepair.com/index.html

17. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr. Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
  18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    We're practically neighbors JLY. I live right outside of West Chester - West Goshen Township to be exact.

All great info everyone - thanks much!

19. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Nick Bucci (boo-chi) is in North Wilmington and Is the best. He is a player, he builds, he repairs, he re-conditions. Easy to get to right off of I 95 in Claymont, DE. Known Nick for over 30 years, he lives and breathes guitars/basses.
    302 562 8248. Tell him Cooke sent you!