Who do you use/recommend for EMAIL?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jun 1, 2004.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I need a new email address. Although many have reassured me that my recent problems with a hijacker/spyware/adware are probably more browser related than email related, I still don't trust my email, (for reasons to lengthy to go into). So, I'm looking for a new email address.

I would like something with lots of memory, at least 10MB, if not twice that, that can send large attachments also. I'm willing to pay for the service, but would hope for no more than $40/yr.

I definitely want something with amazing spam blocks and filters. I need the minimum amount of spam.

Thank you guys/gals.
  2. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Wait a while for Gmail. You will get 1 GIG of space, nice searching, only smallish text ads, etc. It will be free.

You can always augment your service's spam-filtering with your own client-side filtering, too.

It's been in beta-testing for a while now. You can sign up to be notified of developments at gmail.com
  3. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I'm sold on Yahoo and their $19.97 a year service allows for 25 mb storage and you can get more for a small price. I was getting so much spam through AOL that I made some changes. I get very little spam, and every time you get spam you can report it as spam which I think helps to keep it at a minimum systemwide. I've had my address well over a year and a half and I get maybe one or two spam messages a day.

There is a built-in virus program and the nice feature of portability. If you would change your provider you can take it with you. Its also easy to sign on if you're on vacation and signing it from another computer which was really helpful earlier this year.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    From what I understand yahoo is upgrading it's service and will provide 100 or 150 MB for free and 250 MB for the $19/year fee.

Gmail is great for email in general, because already other companies have started to follow suit, Spymac and lycos are both offering 1GB mail services, yahoo is upgrading, I'd imagine hotmail will too.
  5. I offer free, unlimited email service...
  6. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    my own server:] and a domain name... i am sure i cant post it here... just look at my website in profile:]]]]] its:

BIG ;) :p :meh: :crying: :rollno: :bawl: :rolleyes: :mad: :D ;) .com :p YAY!

I personally think ur own domain is best way to-go:]

7. try using juno

now wheres that $40 i was promised?!?!
  8. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

If you want Gmail and you're really impatient, you can bid for Gmail invites on Ebay.

As for your browser issue, I'd recommend using Mozilla.
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have been using mailblocks (http://www.mailblocks.com) for nearly a year and I am 100% sold on it. Most of the email directed to my domain filters through Mailblocks and last time I checked, it had spared my inbox over 17,000 pieces of spam. It is pretty much 100% effective against spam and also blocks any email from senders you decide to remove from your "approved" list. You can use with any email program that handles IMAP, and you can also access your mail through a web browser for when you're on the road (or if you just prefer the webmail thing). Check it out. I recommend it whole-heartedly.

10. firefox
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is anyone else leary of the fact that Google is going to be scanning through all of your gmail? It certainly gives me pause.

brad cook
  12. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm not. Most ISPs already scan through your email for their SPAM software.
  13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Once you get your new email address sorted out (and I'd join in recommending the 'get your own domain' solution) you want to minimise the amount of spam it collects.

Have a look at SpamGourmet. You can set up an address such as mailme.1.wulf@spamgourmet.com. That's a real address. The first time somebody uses it, the message is forwarded to the address I've specified on the server; thereafter, all messages get automatically deleted. You can set how many times an address can be used and increase or decrease that counter on the website.

I now tend to use it, especially when asked for my email address by someone who isn't personally known to me - you can even use the system to send someone an email from a spam proof address (handy when emailing unknown bands who are asking for personnel - some seem to take that as an invitation to sign you up on their mailing list).