Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who does NOT own a Cell Phone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 31, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I do not , anyone else?.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I jumped on the bandwagon late and only got mine spring of last year.

3. unfortunately, I've had one for 3 years. I'm thinking of getting rid of it, because everyone else I know has one...I'll just use theirs! :ninja:

4. nope, no cell phone and i can still operate a motor vehicle without something pressed to my ear.

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    No cell phone here.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I hate cell phones (for myself) with a passion, and do not own one, even with my wife pressing me to own one and even buying one for me that I made her return.

I dislike the poor reception that you get EVERYWHERE in Connecticut (it's really annoying to me to have to repeat everything three times and have to ask what somenone said over and over). That's not the cell phone companie's fault, but it makes me dislike using them greatly. I don't like how most cell phone companies operate- having watched a couple screw over my wife and brother-in-law over the years and dealing with many customer service reps only made it worse. Exorbanent fees, hidden costs, hidden rules etc. are a staple. I also find it kind of rude how people start talking on the phone at any given moment at any place.

I understand their purpose and their usefulness, but I just think they're greatly overused and I dislike them for my own use.

7. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't have one, and that makes me cool.
    But I don't need to be told I'm cool, because I already know I'm cool; and thats what makes me cool.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well sure you do. How else would you know?

9. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    No man, Thats what makes me cool...
    not caring.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You're a line behind- that one goes BEFORE "But I don't need to be told I'm cool, because I already know I'm cool; and thats what makes me cool." :D

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    for once; Australia ahead of the US in one thing: mobile communications. here; mobile phones are EVERYWHERE and everyone has one. including myself.

But; i hardly use it. so i may aswell not have it.

its sort of ironic that i am majoring in telecommunications engineering and i don't like to use mobile phones, don't you think?

12. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    My company has paid for mine since 1995. I wish to God I didn't have to have it, and I am truly jealous of those who aren't required to have one. When the man is footing the bill, I have to have it on 24/7. Fortunately it doesn't ring outside business hours very often (a few times a year).

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I used to be a cell phone hater for all of the reasons everyone has mentioned in this thread, and others on TB. I got a plan nearly 4 years ago for the long distance. I stayed for the convenience, and the service. I do not use my phone while driving, nor in a restaurant, nor in a line at a grocery store. I'm also not "tethered" to a landline, and don't have to make my schedule around waiting for a call. Best of all, with free caller ID I don't have to pick up the phone if I don't like the number I see. I'm also on the Do Not Call list, and I have no worries about being contacted by a telemarketer. I also use the text message feature, this comes in handy when I have to get some info from someone, or do not want to get stuck in a long, drawn out conversation. My cell phone has also gotten me out of a jam. for instance, instead of waiting several hours or walking several miles to use the closest public phone, my cell phone has saved me from being stranded with a broken down vehicle more than once in the last year.

14. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I tried ok, its been a while.
    Forgiveiness Master
    I'm still cool though....seriously

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I will say that I do not see the point to the "walkie talkie" features on some phones. I overhear conversations everywhere, mostly by construction/contractor types who have to keep in touch every other minute.

Typical 'walkie talkie' conversation:
    -'Yello?'
    -'Where you at, Bob?'
    -'Gettin' gas, where you at, Al?'
    -'At a stop light.'
    -'Ok, see you back at the site. Pick up some napkins.'

16. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i don't have one, and i would only want one if i needed a phone. and by the way, i strongly dislike my telephone.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I bought the wife a "Boost" phone from Nextel. I wanted her to have one for in the car. we "reboost" the phone with $20 every 3 months. I think it's like $0.15 per minute... she doesn't really use it other than quick questions and emergencies.

Before that I had bought her a tracfone... complete rip off there. I had it for about 2 months letting the minutes run out after getting her the new one.

18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The guitarist in my last band. He does not own a computer either. A true minimalist. :confused:

19. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    does he play electric or acoustic guitar?

does he use an amp or some sort of weird contraption that amplifies sound without electricity?

20. I am cel-phone-less and I don't care!

I really just don't need one. When at work I have phones available and I don't need one at home. So far I haven't needed one when on the road.

I'm still not use to people (some people) and their cells. You know the type. The one walking through a store having a loud conversation or the guy staring at something on the shelf of a super market because he has CRS. " honey, what do I get??" Just buy the Fruity Pebbles moron! Then there are the people who will abruptly stop you in the middle of a conversation to answer their call.

Okay, I'm done, and I feel better too. :D