Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who does Victor Bailey tour with?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by alexssandro, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Victor Bailey is one of the bass players I haven't seen live who I'd really like to see. There isn't much info on him on the net. Besides Madonna, who does he tour with? Who has he collaborated/toured with recently? Anyone ever see him play? Anyone know of any upcoming gigs? Thanks in advance.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All I know right now is that the

Victor Bailey Group is playing at the Leverkusener Jazztage (Jazz Days), which is right next to Cologne (10km).

Exerpt from the schedule:

Friday, 19.10.2001

Forum Leverkusen:
    ESC Night 19:00 DM 48,-/55,-

Joe Zawinul Special Project with Etienne Mbappe`, Amid Chatterjee, Lelo Nika, Otto Leschner & Paco Sery

Randy Brecker Group with Georg Whitty, Chris Minh-Doky, Adam Rogers, Zach Danziger

Victor Bailey Group with Omar Hakim, Benny Maupin, Jim Beard, Dean Brown

Finally, living in Germany does have some advantages after all :)

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Man, i'll have to see the zawinul group, and the brecker one, too.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    last year i had reservations to catch the zawinul syndicate at the catalina bar and grill in hollywood. its a 3 hour drive from my house and i was an hour away from leaving when i get the urge to check the website again. i look and see that there's no show that night. i call and find out that zawinul cancelled the week long engagement there because he couldnt get the band together. i was really looking forward to seeing that band because victor bailey and malono badrena were in it. now etienne m'bappe took victor's place and it doesnt look like they'll be playing california again in the future. aaarrrggghhh!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Victor bailey with the Zawinul Syndicate in my home town (1997!!) and it was a great gig - the grooving was incredible - Paco Sery - African drummer made up a fantastic rhythm section with Victor Bailey - an awesome sound!

You can hear some of this on the "World Tour" live album (double CD) although it felt more exciting live - but the big disappointment of the live album for me was that at the gig I went to, Victor did a fantastic bass "feature" or solo, which really impressed me and the whole audience, but it's not included on the album - I would really like to hear this again and was the main reason I bought the album. :(

6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I was fortunate enough to see Victor Bailey right after he joined Weather Report on the Procession tour. It was a tough evening for him initially. Nobody knew that Jaco had left the band, and the first tune they did was Procession, during which the lights came up very, very slowly. Well, it became clear as the silhouette formed on stage that this was not the bassist a lot of people had come to see (Jaco being at his height of popularity then), and there was audible negative reaction among those assembled. By the end of the show, though, I actually heard a few "Jaco Who?" chants. He totally won people over that night. I also saw Victor with Steps Ahead. And I wrote him once, asking him about the bass he played during that show. He actually slid some sort of magnetic fretless board under his strings and onto his fretted neck to play a few fretless songs. Weird, but very cool. He wrote back and was very cordial. He's a great live player and would wholeheartedly encourage you to see him with whomever he might be playing with now or in the future. One of my personal favorites and defintely an influence. If you want to see a great snapshot of his work with Weather Report, check eBay and try to find Domino Theory Live in Japan. He and Hakim burn.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yet another *great* bassist from Philly!

A lesser known cd(perhaps)w/ Bailey is Petite Blonde...he & Dennis Chambers are goin' off! ;)

8. Last month he came to my home town with Howard Levy and Steve Smith. Fusion thing.

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Stanley Clarke
    Jaco Pastorious
    Victor Bailey

How do you guys keep doing that???

Peace,

James

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    :confused:

I thought jaco was from Ft. Lauderdale. Did i not understand your post.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    (sigh)
    Wasn't Jaco BORN in Norristown, PA? About 20 miles from Philly?

Others-
    Tyrone Browne(love him on my ex-neighbor's Consciousness album)
    Jymie Merritt & son
    Alphonso Johnson
    Rudy McDaniel(AKA Jamaladeen Tacuma)
    Gerald Veasley
    Charles Fambrough
    Christian McBride
    ...& so many more that are nameless, faceless.

Obviously, I didn't live there long enough. ;)

12. Just to add some info, I was searching for Victor Bailey albums on amazon.com, and it seems like his new solo album, That's Right is going to be released on October 23. I'll be looking forward to that!