1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who else gave up practicing sitting down?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Honestly, this is one of the best things I've done. My last bass had awful neck dive, so I practiced sitting down 24/7. When I got my new bass, I noticed how comfortable it felt standing up, everything just fell into place. Before I thought that playing while standing was extremely awkward, and my playing was far worse that way. Now it's reversed. I find that sitting down is the one that create odd angles. I play with my bass slung low, so there's no compromises to be made here. I've been doing it for 3 months now and I've long transferred my skills.

2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I live by the adage: Never stand when you can sit, and never sit when you can lay down!!! But seriously? I know the low slung bass looks like it has great attitude, but it's not very nice to your wrist or tendons.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I am constantly learning new songs for fill-in gigs. So when I do practice, I do it sitting down in front of the computer to youtube songs.

However, I got a tip years ago that served me well. Get a wide leather adjustable strap. Set it to the same place your bass sits when you are sitting down. That way, your bass is the same sitting or standing. And the wide leather strap doesn't let the bass slide so neck dive is no longer an issue even if the bass is head heavy.

4. I've never been comfortable sitting with my bass, any of them. Doing so puts my right wrist into an uncomfortable curl. Standing for the win, for me.

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I never practice sitting down. Ever. The bass just sits differently when you stand and unless you're playing a semi-acoustic coffee house gig, sitting just isn't appropriate, IMO. It sucks because my practice time is usually after a 10+hr workday where I'm always standing, but that's what "tylenol" is for. That and beer.

6. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    My theory is this: the better you get, the higher your bass gets. Punk: not hard, sling it low. Classic rock: not hard, along it low. Hair metal: not hard, sling it low. Progressive/jazz: more difficult, bring it up a little. Hard rock: more difficult, bring it up a little bit. Hard jazz/hard slap: pretty tough, bring it up. Etc, etc. also I came to this from experience, I used to hang it low and the better I got, the higher it rose. Of course there are exceptions to my rule. But that's my 2 cents.

7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Well..if im learnin a new tune...or suttin that im dealin wit computer..ill sit.
    then once i learn it..i stand and play like im gonna play it durin the show. (that way i can work on my moves) ;)
    if im just screwin off..and its not for a live show..my lazy ass be sittin.

8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Your still the Kid that said the Marcus Miller was overrated.

9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I had the opposite problem... My band plays sitting down, so I had to learn to play sitting down, which I rarely did at that point. For the first few gigs I was the only one standing.

I find sitting puts me in a weird spot. Better for my left hand, but bad for the right hand because I find myself dropping my elbow moreso than when standing up. But when I stand up, I can barely get the neck to keep an angle I'm comfortable with, it's not a problem with neckdive but I would prefer an almost uprightish angle...

There's something about chillin' on your couch when practicing arpeggios, though...

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I play sitting down it feels the most comfortable.

11. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    In the 80's, I used to snicker at people who played "armpit bass," the more I concentrated on playing fingerstyle and slap, the more I started to abandoned that line of thought. Especially after I realized that I learn most songs while sitting, and that I was a changing a lot of the dynamics of playing while sitting compared to standing with a low-slung guitar.

12. Learning new stuff -- sitting.
    Everything else -- standing.

13. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    The more techniques I learn, the higher my strap moves.

14. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    When learning a new song that I have never played before I do it sitting down....Once I am comfortable with playing the song I practice it standing up.

Now super easy songs like "Hey Jealousy" that took maybe all of five minutes to learn I will learn them standing......

15. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I play with the bass hung low and pretty much always practice standing up now, apart from not having worry about the bass changing position between standing & sitting, I tend to get easily distracted if I'm sitting in front of the computer but I feel more focused and less easily distracted if I'm playing standing.

16. Sitting or standing, the bass is in the same position for me. I'm one of those Archies guys.

17. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I used to always practise sitting down, now I always practise standing up. That's mostly because I used to practise bass guitar and now I practise double bass instead.

18. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I found that my Peavey is awkward to play while sitting down, but last night I was playing my Sterling while sitting in front of my computer and it was surprisingly comfortable. I usually stand though because I feel like the energy flows better and it's easier to have good posture. It can get heavy though...my bass teacher described it quite accurately: "Spending hours with a 10-lb piece of wood strapped to your neck."

19. Like the OP, I had a bass (Epiphone Viola) with bad neckdive. Since the back of that bass is round, it would tend to fall forward. Therefore, the best way to play it was sitting down. I also to prefer to play my AEB sitting down. I prefer to play any solid body bass standing up, even my Squier Jag, even though it has some neck dive, but nothing like my Viola.

20. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    Strictly speaking the best position for your bass to be when standing is the same spot as when sitting (tighten the strap while sitting until it is almost taking the weight and it would if your leg wasn't there). It gives you good wrist angles and you only need one lot of muscle memory to play the same song sitting or standing because your bass is in the same position. That said, I never play that high, it really doesn't look to good on an 18 year old in a punk band.