1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

who else has truble finger-style pickin g when your hands r cold? nt

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by snatch, Oct 7, 2000.

1. snatch

snatch

Sep 24, 2000
    nt here

2. I dunno, I don't think I've ever actually tried to. But then again, maybe that's because I first got my bass at the beginning of spring...
    But as soon as I play at my school fair, I'll be sure to let you know if I had any problems. :D

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I've done some outdoor gigs in December in England (it was snowing at one of them). What I did was to wear gloves until I had to play. A coffee mug is a good thing as well.
    When I was a kid in prehistoric times you could get a felt case that you burnt charcoal in it was called a pocket warmer. I think Jerry Lee Lewis had one :)

4. unless people spend a lot on heat put on a pair of gloves,, hit the autostart on the car, and have a gig in a warm club, i think we all have the problem
    a good warm up is usually enough to get the blood back

i personaly have to take it a little slower in the winter

5. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I do. Annoyingly I have seem to have a circulation problem - so I need to do a lot of warming up. I definitely can't play as fast when I'm cold.

I remember playing an outside gig in December in the UK, by the end of the evening I could only play root notes because I could barely move my hands.

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I used to play with a pep band during football games in college. Let me tell you autumn in New England can get pretty cold. I actually played a couple of times with baseball batting gloves on. Couldn't feel a thing, but I didn't make too many mistakes. I certainly could think of easier ways to make $10 these days.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Where did you get bookings for outdoor gigs in December in the UK? This sounds bizarre to me - did anybody come? I have played gigs in December in the UK but in hot sweaty clubs - no problem!

8. it happens to me all the time. to warm up, first rub your hands together and blow on them. then start warming up on the bass real slow - then gradually get faster.

9. If you know you're going to have to perform in a place where it's going to be cold, a small hair dryer on stage is great for warming up cold hands.

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used to wear gloves up until show time. I tried a few of those quick tricks to heat up my hands, but having my hands and fingers warm for at least half and hour always seemed to work best.

11. Well I have had this problem a couple of times, but it does not last too long thankfully.

12. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Bruce,

Yeah that was pretty weird as I recall. I think it was a village fete or something. When we started off there was a bonfire, which kept us warm. Later all the public went inside a pub because it was too cold, we all thought: "blow this" and went inside for a large brandy.

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Bruce

It was a Carol Concert in a football Stadium 5000 people attended the first year and 10000 the next. It was cancelled when the club stopped using astroturf. Shame, they were excellent gigs and I have not played to as many people since.