who else has truble finger-style pickin g when your hands r cold? nt

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by snatch, Oct 7, 2000.

1. snatch

Sep 24, 2000
  2. I dunno, I don't think I've ever actually tried to. But then again, maybe that's because I first got my bass at the beginning of spring...
    But as soon as I play at my school fair, I'll be sure to let you know if I had any problems. :D
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I've done some outdoor gigs in December in England (it was snowing at one of them). What I did was to wear gloves until I had to play. A coffee mug is a good thing as well.
    When I was a kid in prehistoric times you could get a felt case that you burnt charcoal in it was called a pocket warmer. I think Jerry Lee Lewis had one :)
  4. unless people spend a lot on heat put on a pair of gloves,, hit the autostart on the car, and have a gig in a warm club, i think we all have the problem
    a good warm up is usually enough to get the blood back

i personaly have to take it a little slower in the winter
  5. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I do. Annoyingly I have seem to have a circulation problem - so I need to do a lot of warming up. I definitely can't play as fast when I'm cold.

I remember playing an outside gig in December in the UK, by the end of the evening I could only play root notes because I could barely move my hands.
  6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I used to play with a pep band during football games in college. Let me tell you autumn in New England can get pretty cold. I actually played a couple of times with baseball batting gloves on. Couldn't feel a thing, but I didn't make too many mistakes. I certainly could think of easier ways to make $10 these days.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Where did you get bookings for outdoor gigs in December in the UK? This sounds bizarre to me - did anybody come? I have played gigs in December in the UK but in hot sweaty clubs - no problem!
  8. it happens to me all the time. to warm up, first rub your hands together and blow on them. then start warming up on the bass real slow - then gradually get faster.
  9. If you know you're going to have to perform in a place where it's going to be cold, a small hair dryer on stage is great for warming up cold hands.
  10. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used to wear gloves up until show time. I tried a few of those quick tricks to heat up my hands, but having my hands and fingers warm for at least half and hour always seemed to work best.
  11. Well I have had this problem a couple of times, but it does not last too long thankfully.
  12. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon

Yeah that was pretty weird as I recall. I think it was a village fete or something. When we started off there was a bonfire, which kept us warm. Later all the public went inside a pub because it was too cold, we all thought: "blow this" and went inside for a large brandy.
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999

It was a Carol Concert in a football Stadium 5000 people attended the first year and 10000 the next. It was cancelled when the club stopped using astroturf. Shame, they were excellent gigs and I have not played to as many people since.