1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who else is running a Mac

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by g4string, Mar 14, 2008.

1. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I just got mine....I just converted. Leopard, or any other Mac format, is definitely different than windows. It will take some time to get used to a Mac. Who else is using a Mac? Any tips to help with the transition and keeping my system maintained.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    MacBook Pro here.

I give this less than 10 posts before it turns into a Mac v. PC argument. :atoz:

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    No suggestions, really, macs just seam to run themselves! :D :D

I have had mine for a year and a half roughly, I love it, I bought leopard over the winter.

What do you have? MacBook? MacBook Pro? or one of the desktops? I guess you could have a MacBook Air too...

4. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    I would actually like some insight as to why I should convert...I don't want an argument, but...g4string, why did you switch? You can reply via pm if you feel like I just derailed your thread. I will probably start my own.

5. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yeah, most likely, I will refrain from windows bashing comments if other people will avoid this arguement. I would like a general discussion about different mac features we all use.

6. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    One big one you might have noticed: the apple key has a lot of the same functions control key does in windows, like copy and paste, etc.

apple + w closes a window
    Apple + q closes a program

I really love spaces (the multiple desktop feature) and I have it set so I have 6 different desktops (you can go up to 16) and I can switch between them by pressing APPLE + (the number of the desktop I want to go to) other than that, some convenient things include the view windows operation, that zooms out and shows you all the open windows on the current desktop you are on. I have it set to work when I press the right apple button. makes it easy to keep track of everything.

All of this stuff is changed in the System Preferences program.

Then there are other things, like the time machine. It makes backing up your hard drive painless and effecient.

7. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    One bonus is no viruses. There are no problems with pop ups either. I have no external pop-up blocker or virus protecter, anything I have came with the system and works well.

The only problem I have had with my MacBook Pro was with the battery after a year and half of use, but Apple took care of it for me.

8. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I just got an iMac.....the 20" jobber......it is a nice machine. The build quality is second to none

My old pc's hard drive got infected. I couldnt visit secure websites and send email. I spent about 12 hours on the phone with various tech reps to help fix my problem.....no help. I then formated and partitioned my my hard drive no help either. I went to the store and looked at new PC's but left with a bad Windows Vista taste in my mouth. I said **** it, and bought a Mac.

9. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    They are beautiful machines... I love mine...

well what kind of tips are you looking for? Do you have any specific questions?

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I run a MacBook Pro, a 20" iMac, and I have a MacBook too. I'm running a network of 280 machines running OS 10.4. I'm one guy.

11. derrellvis69

derrellvis69

Aug 23, 2006
    Colorado
    I'm also a recent member of iMac society. I wanted to setup a little home recording space and after speaking with people and reading alot of stuff online I went with a 24" iMac and a Firebox setup w/ Cubase for software. I'm slowly but surely getting everything setup and working the way that I want it. I'm enjoying the new world I bought into, so far. I've yet to make any recording with the new setup, but I plan on using the setup to post some stuff on Youtube in the future.

12. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I have been a Mac user for a long time. Currently, I'm using a iMac 20".

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Just got a new Macbook Air. Its ok, I like my Sony Vaio better I guess because I'm used to it.

Bought the Mac to record music, I hope it works out well.

14. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Always had Macs. The beauty in them is there is no mantiance and they are easy to use. You can run Windows on Boot camp as well

15. My brother just got a Macbook. Brought it over the other day to show me... at the time I was reformatting our laptop because my little brother virused it up. The Mac looked like a very good option at the time.

16. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Been a Mac user ever since I got a computer, 1997. I would suggest getting Tech Tool Pro for routine maintenance. I always used Norton Systemworks, but they abandoned the Mac platform for some reason, at least in the utility software.

17. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Why? What does it do for you?

18. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Even macs need to be tidied up periodically. Old desk top files, unused preferences, and a bunch of other little left-behind bits, need to be purged or rebuilt every once in a while to keep it all running smoothly.

And don't be TOO comfy in the falsely-perceived no virus world. There are indeed mac bugs, just nowhere near as many, and when they do appear they are much easier to squish.

19. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Go to "Utilities" and run "Disk Utility" every once in a while.
    Especially before and after updates.
    I usually run it after downloading large files as well.

If you run unto trouble, go here http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa
    This forum site is full of very knowledgable and helpful peoples.

I got an iMac a couple of years ago. My first computer! Been having fun ever since!
    Only prob is this community (see Location) doesn't have access to high speed, except the library.
    A Mac on dial-up is like a Porsche stuck in first. Neogotiations with Verizon have been ongoing for two years now.
    boo-hoo!

Enjoy yer Mac!! Great fun!

20. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I started out using NeXTStep back in 1990 - awesome machines. Mac OSX is actually NeXTSTep 7 (or something similar), as Apple based OSX on NeXTstep rather tham MacOS9. It absolutly rocked back then, and it still works for the same fundamental reason: Take BSD Unix - thats 35+ years of hard core scientific/industrial computing technology, and use that as your engine. It's bombproof, and what I run on my servers. Now put a pretty, easy to use desktop on top...

Do I need server strength backend, or pretty fronted desktop? It's a no-brainer.

Ian