1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who else is running a Mac

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by g4string, Mar 14, 2008.

1. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I've been a Mac user since the 1980s and the Apple IIe.

You may have some initial frustration if you're a big keyboard shortcut person like me. On a PC copy, paste and a variety of other commands use the control key while on a Mac it's the "command" key (I still say "open Apple," a throwback to the days when there was an "open apple" and a "closed apple" key.")

I experienced the frustration when one of my jobs made me work on a PC.

I think you'll enjoy a lot of the intuitive software Mac has with iLife. I currently use iMovie and GarageBand for quick stuff and Final Cut Pro and Logic for more complex stuff. And of course Photoshop, Illustrator and other design software is made for Mac so you'll enjoy using it as nature intended!

I suggest downloading Firefox for a browser. I've never been big on the Mac browsers like Safari.

2. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Gotcha beat Dis, I had a II+!

3. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    But why of all things the Macbook Air? If you knew things about computers, you'd realize it's a piece of junk. Compared to the Commodore 64, the only thing it has is a back-lit keyboard

4. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    I'll be the one to start it. If people would just learn how to use their Windows machine properly, their would be no problem with viruses or pop ups or crap. I don't use any protection, just a router, and I'm golden.

I also cannot stand the "i" everything. It's overdone, we get it, you're special for having a Mac so you put "i" infront of every damn product.

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I have been using Firefox for on my PC's for a while now.....FF was the first thing I down loaded when I hooked up the Mac. I am not a big key shortcut guy.....for me its just a matter of learning how to use the software.

BTW, I am in Rockford............it's cool to see another TB'r so close.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Well, looks like I was wrong. It took 24 posts. :rolleyes:

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I have been like you for a while.......I never ran virus software on my PC's...........I just kept them clean and maintained. However, the last bug I got I couldn't fix. I could have bought a new hard drive......it would have been cheaper than a new computer. But, the PC was about 5 years old so it was time for an upgrade. The thing that turned me over to Mac was Vista. If they were still putting XP in the PC's at the store I probably would have stayed with PC's. I know you can order a PC with XP, I didn't feel like waiting a couple of weeks to get my machine. For now, I am happy with my Mac. Hopefully I learn the OS as good as I knew Windows.

8. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Thank's for noticing, but I just hate Mac's/Apple in general. They're whole ad compaign breeds snobbery beyond belief and it put me over the edge.

9. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    The only thing that Apple actually makes that I like is iTunes, as my Winamp severely messed up. The iPod's seem to break pretty easily too.

10. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    The "i" thing is annoying.

It's supposed to stand for "internet." The iMac was supposed to let you hook up to the internet right out of the box. Then the iPod, where you get songs off the internet and the iPhone which is internet capable.

But these products that put "i" in front of them when they don't have anything to do with the internet are annoying. But that's not the Mac's fault, they only put "i" in front of their internet products. It's the knockoff companies, and the trendy people who don't do their research!

11. Agreed 100%.

I got a MacBook because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and because one of my friend's had one and I really liked it, as well as GarageBand. So I got one, because my old laptop was pretty much dead.

No regrets.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is true. But even if you know what you're doing, you can't solve all the problems of the Windows Operating System.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    2nd gen MacBook for me. This thing goes with me everywhere.

I swear my girlfriend would be jealous of it if she didn't have one and understand my attachment. This thing is flawless.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I don't know much about computers and I know less what to make of the comment.:meh:

By the way I got the computer on the cheap with that sweet employee discount.

15. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I only wished they made a Mac book Pro 12" like the little I books used to be.

Smaller is much better if you lug the thing around all the time.

16. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

It's funny too how people love to hate them (reminds me of a certain bass manufacturer), regardless if they are popular or not.

I remember in the early I pod days people saying Mac was going under and how they were crap and a PC can do everything they do. It's the same crap that has been perpetuated since Apple started.

I do agree about the arrogant commercials. I end up liking the poor PC, because the Mac is such an arrogant idiot.

People like to be haters of anything thats not what they have or believe in. BE LIKE ME!!!!

17. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    +1

I LOVED my 12" powerbook. When I got my MacBook Pro, I actaully kept using my old powerbook for as long as possible. WAY better machine - if they'd offered me my old machine back with a faster processor I'd have grabbed it in a shot.

The AIR is a little too cut down, but the 12" G4's were full power machines, in a small form factor. At home I hooked up an external monitor, so I had two screens. The bigger MBPro is too big to share a desk with my monitor, so I have something bigger to carry which gives me less screen space.

Ian

18. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Macbook pro 17in.

It's stuck to my arm.

I have an Ipod touch 16gig, that is stuck in my other hand.

However.. I have a PC for my desktop at home, you can't beat a PC.

19. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I started using computers in the DOS days. A friend of mine was a programmer/electronic musician who did all his work on an Apple II until the Atari came out with built in MIDI. I personally in '89started out on MSDOS machines doing graphics with programs named TIPS and RIO and word-processing in WordStar and MultiMate. Eventually we switched to Illustrator and Photoshop on Windows 2.5. Around that time I started using friends IIci and the difference in stability and transparency of the OS (version 6), made me a convert.

My experience is that Macs are still more stable and transparent and since Final Cut doesn't run on Windows I'm staying put, but at this point in time I think their pretty close once inside software.

20. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I converted about 6 weeks ago. I bought 2 macbook and 1 airport extreme.
    I love it. I won't go back to pc anytime soon. But I had some problems. I had to return the airport because it was DOA and also the second macbook (my wife's macbook) Spent more time with the tech then here (it is there right now for the 3rd time).

I read a lot about osx for the last weeks and I'm getting better.

Some web site that will help you:

http://guides.macrumors.com/

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/

http://www.usingmac.com/2007/11/21/mac-os-x-leopard-200-productivity-booster-hotkeys

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner's_Guide

I've got about 10 more web sites but they are in french.