1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who else like wide but thin necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I like P spacing with Jazz neck thickness. It gives you plenty of room to work with and room for slapping, yet the thinness allows you to get your thumb in the back of the neck comfortably. What kind of basses have necks like this?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    '60s Rickenbackers! :bassist:

My Martin Keith Elfin 5 fretless fills the bill, too. :cool:

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wide and flat, Baby! Love 'em! '83 P-basses, 80s G&Ls and Stingrays! Bring 'em on!

4. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Lakland fivers are wide and flat with compound radius. Love 'em!

5. I used to go wide/flat but have since gone wide at bridge, tightish at nut(1.5" for a 4)& flat/paper-thin front-to-back. I had Chris make my Stambaugh 6er neck as thin as he dared- it's so sweet

6. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I spent some time before rehearsal fiddling with an Am. Special P bass today. The absolute perfect neck for me - 1.625 at the nut, and THIN! If I had the money, I'd hire a luthier to make a 24 fret neck with the same dimensions as the Am. Special for my Jazz 24. The Jazz is 1.5 at the nut and about as thick front-to-back as a standard P bass, so it's not optimal for my preferences.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The best neck in the world is my Fender VS '62 P bass (Fullerton) with a neck that's a full 1.75" wide and very thin front-to-back. The reason I don't like most Jazz-style necks isn't that the neck is so narrow at the nut ('though the Geddy Lee I owned certainly was too narrow to ever feel close to comfortable) but because they're too deep front-to-back. It pushes the thumb further from the rest of the hand and alters the angle for my hand at the back.

John

8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    '96 Zon 5/1, graphite neck with no trussrod (and never needed) 1.85" wide but very shallow and so comfortable. Makes the 99-54 feel cramped in comparison!

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    60s Ps, lakland bob glaub.

10. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Early 80's G&L's, usually 1-5/8 to 1-11/16 wide, but flat and thin around the back. Ricks from 1963 to early 1973, too. 1983-84 Fender Precision Elites had a really nice, flat neck, although a little wide.

11. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Bump

12. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Okay,,apologies,, but im compelled to respond. (not trolling, i promise)

I actually prefer narrow, baseball bat necks (i.e., Gibson EB2). \

For some bizzarro reason these seem much easier to play. Maybe because it forces me to keep my thumb on the back of the neck instead of wrapping it around. Dunno, really.

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My 2002 Precision has an 'A' neck. Thin but kinda wide. The Precision V has a wide neck. Like both but also dug the club like neck profile of the '74 I had for a spell.

Just couldn't get the action where I wanted it, worn frets.

14. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Chapman Stick. :D

Chapman_Stick.

15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    TBH, I have a hard time telling the difference. I just play them and really don't spend much time thinking about it. I know my basses all feel a bit different to me but after 5 minutes I get "used" to them. Then I tweak the EQ a tad to get my signature sound and Play the **** out of them.:cool:

16. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Heartfield DR-5. Flat & wide. I love it!

17. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I'm normally a 1-1/2 kinda guy, but I have to say my '83 G&L SB-2 and 2001 Zon 4/2 have wonderful 1-5/8 shallow necks that please me to no end! I can easily jump from my Sterling to either of those and be perfectly comfortable. Plus my lines pour out differently, so all the better.

18. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I find the opposite! I cramp up if I keep my thumb on the back of the neck with a baseball bat. I find the baseball fats force me to wrap it around.

19. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    I can play on just about any kind of neck, but I prefer relatively narrow and thick necks. Sometimes I like to hit a note on the E with my thumb and a thick neck makes the job more comfortable.

20. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Yes, I get it. My Jazz is arguably too delicate-feeling. Plus....I prefer the strings to be more parallel.

My P feels much better, really. It probably has the 1.65" nut. Not terribly wide, but not Jazz width. The neck is definitely thin. Not quite as thin as an Ibanez, but thin. This bass practically plays itself.