Who else likes to tenor-tune their 4 string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jul 2, 2004.

1. I bought a C string the other day so I could get a nice Tenor bass thing going - but my Warwick is set up for standard tuning so when I go ADGC it sometimes lacks that punch of say what Wooten does - I'm just wondering if anyone else finds this or whether Wooten/Stanley C have slightly altered neck lengths etc. to get a better response from their strings? Or do they just use better strings than me - I use Elites Players lightest guage - with a Labella on top...

Apart from that I love it - I really want to get a 6 string eventually - but the only drag is that I now feel obliged to work on all the Wooten tenor bass tunes like More Love and Show Of Hands (I can play the first fast riff quite well, but it's bloody hard) - oh well, time to stop posting and start shedding!
  2. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    I went sideways and bought a sweet 5string and then restuing it with a high C. Sweet as basically and mayB a better way to go as you still get you 4string and then you get all the extra fun of having a high C as well...

3. Of course, I use a 6 string for that purpose. :)

I believe Stanley Clarke uses a short scale, don't know about Victor. Victor does use very light strings though.
  4. i will someday get a medium scale bass tuned ADGC.
    not now though, i have to learn the standard tuned 4 better!
    i guess i have a fear of leaving EADG...i will probably end up getting a 5er tuned EADGC, but then i will feel bad about not having a low B and get a regular tuned 6 string instead.
    i guess i don't know what i want...other than a fender Bass VI! :smug:

5. HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I used to tune my five string to EADGC, until I got my six, which up until recently, I've been content to tune it to standard BEADGC. Just for fun, however, I bought a wound F string to tune it EADGCF, but I decided that I had grown too attached to my B string that I switched back.
  6. black math

black math

Aug 30, 2004
    I'd be very interested in tenor tuning my four string, as I tend to hover around the higher notes anyway. But i afraid I'll warp the neck by tuning it up. Perhaps I'm ignorant on this, but anyone i've spoken to about it said the neck would warp...

please tell me I'm wrong, I'd like to tenor tune...
  7. You'll need a lighter top string. Put the A where the E is now, move all the others over, and put the C where the G was.