Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who else loves a total POS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elvinstheman, Sep 27, 2005.

1. elvinstheman

elvinstheman

Jun 16, 2005
    Seattle, USA
    I just revived my Ibanez Fender copy and got it a professional setup and new half-round strings and man - it really plays beautifully. I've had lots of basses in my life but this one feels the best. It's so danged easy to play. The neck just feels great and it's heavy due to the ash body, I think. That gives it a real gravitas. I even like the way it looks!

Does anyone else have a cheap bass that they just love? (And if anyone has any info about the old Ibanez Fender copies I wou be really interested; I know almost nothing about them.)

Attached Files:

2. I wouldn't call your bass a POS. I believe this era of production is often referred to as 'lawsuit' as Fender felt the Ibanez basses so closely mimiced their stuff that they sued to stop their sales. Search under 'lawsuit' for more info.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I agree. Many of the Ibanezes (and other CIJ brands like Greco, Tokai etc) from that era are great basses.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    +100 The Ibannez/Greco and Matsumoto stuff from this time are some pretty great basses.

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Totally agree :bassist:

I bought a '68 Goya J just about a year ago that is an amazingly well built, beautiful sounding bass. Took a minor chance and got it off the 'bay for $200 with the intention of a total rehab job, but 15 seconds after plugging it in and playing it, I decided to leave it alone. It's the bass on the right in this pic ....

[​IMG]

I did switch out the tuners since the pic was taken, and I had also put a MightyMite fretless neck on it, but the neck looked terrible .... too new looking for the other vintage qualities of the bass. Would love to find an old unlined fretless J neck for it, but so far no luck.

It's old and it was cheap, but it's definitely not a POS ..... would love to get more just like it ....... :cool:

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Nice. I bought a 1973 Greco P recently and am amazed at how good it feels and plays. It's condition is so good I'd nearly call it NOS and it's really attractive in the flesh, being all maple and with a nearly inch thick birdseye top. Best Fender/Fenderesque instrument I've ever played.
    [​IMG]

7. Pointbass, I want your Jazz Special- looks like my first ever brand-new bass. *Sigh* ...memories...

8. Ill say what everyone else has, those ones are not pieces of ****!, they are ace, often better than the fender equivilant (same with the ibanez gibson lawsuit stuff, its better quality, sounds better and was cheaper, hence why they god sued so bad :p )

9. elvinstheman

elvinstheman

Jun 16, 2005
    Seattle, USA
    I didn't think it was a POS, I just thought everyone else thought it was. I'm glad to hear others have had great experiences with them too. I thought maybe mine was just a gem out of a bad lot. Not true, I realize. Kew.

10. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I usually take my Jay Turser Beatle bass to band practice, rather than my Stingray or Corvette Std 5.

11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    That's an '86, and with all of the other basses I have owned and now own, it's still my #1 favorite. Unfortunately, I don't get a chance to play it all that often anymore since moving to the 6's & 7's. But every once in a while she comes out, especially if it's an old school R&B gig .... yeah, she's battered and bruised, but that bass has got the funk .... :cool:

12. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

The only thing I'd disagree with you about here is the "POS" tag!!! :D There were some very nice basses coming out of Japan during that period - Fender and Gibson had good reason to be worried.

13. I got a 60 quid p-bass copy (white with tortoise plate like a 70s sid vicious era P) in my collection amongst a few top quality 'Pro' instruments (warwick, fender) and i always go back to her. She just has a plain pleasing to the ear tone and a great feel, :bag: I even think it has a (Horror!) laminated plywood body!

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    :ninja:
    I bet a lot of girlfriends of bass players would say, "me!"

:D

15. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    My 4 string carlo robelli, doent matter what i play, I base my tone off it for some reason :p
    [​IMG]

16. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I love my GSR200 and I'll never sell it. It's not my primary bass (It was for 3 year, even when I owned a much nicer Rick) but I love it and it's definatly a suitable backup even if your main bass is high end. I

17. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    An old Washburn Lyon that serves as a "Church Bass". I used it a few years ago while I was between basses. It has a very loud Precision sound. Very gritty, too.

18. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I love my Ibanez RB800. Its bright green, and I just think the color is wicked...

Its tone is lacking in comparison to my SX Jazz though, but hell it plays like a charm....first bass I got too.

[​IMG]
    That's not me playing it, but there it is...

19. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Those Ibanez copies are fantastic - I have a 1976 aria pro II/professional bass (P Bass copy by Matsumoku) that might be considered a POS, but not really... GREAT p-bass tone. If you want something pretty close to vintage fender tone at 1/10th-1/20th the price, check out the lawsuit basses :-D

20. i really liked my SX BG150, and i will always have a soft spot for those old 60s-70s japanese basses