1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who else makes 4.5" wide fender 5 replacement pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I've got Nordstrand NJ5FS in my bass right now but I would like to know who else makes 4.5" wide hum cancelling Jazz Bass replacement pickups. I've googled but nothing comes up.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    NJ5FS pickps are 4.1" for the bridge, not 4.5"

Bartolini and Delano make hum cancelling J pickups the same size as the Nordy's.

3. The pickup covers are 4 1/2" wide and on the box they came in it says "fits fender jazz 5 sized routs". If they were 4.1" there would not be a problem.

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I was going by their diagram, maybe it's just the pickup itself that's 4.1" wide then? Without the cover? That would be strange..

5. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Nordstrand Bass Pickups

6. The pickup itself is 4 12/32" wide but the cover is 4.5". I checked out the delano site but nothing came up.Same with Bartolini.
    Could it be that Nordstrand is the only company that makes a replacement?

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah I was going by their diagram, looks to me like it's the cover included. 4.1"

nordstrand-dimensions-nj5F-bridge.

8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You SURE they are Nordtrands? Did you buy them new? What kind of bass? 4.1" should be standard for a Fender. That's what Barts and Delano are, and what Nordstrand says theirs are.

9. I see what the website measurements say
    NJ5FS
    Hum-cancelling, Split coil version of NJ5F. Includes black covers.
    Pickup length: Bridge = 4.10", Neck = 3.965"

But it's not what my pickups are.
    I bought my bass (Atelier Z 265 ) on e-bay, with the splits installed and a pair of singles in the box that the splits came in. 4.5" that's what they are.
    I'm going to call Nordstrand tomorrow to see what's up with that.
    I'm confused now.

10. The pickup covers are 4.5, I believe Nordstrand calls them the wide 5 covers.

Alleva Coppollo uses the same covers and I think Aero Pickups has done them in the past.

If you are looking for some Atelier pickups, let me know. I have 2 brand new sets that I haven't gotten around to using yet.

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah maybe you just need different covers. How much wiggle room you got in there? Since they are designed to be drop-in's for Fender, they should fit in a 4.1" cover.

However, you mentioned these were replaced by Splits..which are a soapbar shape and not a Jazz shape. Now I'm confused :)

12. Are the pickups you have the original Atelier Z and are they hum cancelling?
    Or are they some other brand?
    I may already have the nicest ones for my taste in my bass but I just want to know what other choices I have.

13. OK, I called Nordstrand directly and here's what I found out.
    My pickups are indeed made by them but they are not on the website because they are special order. The newer Nordstrand 5 string basses all have pickup covers that are 4 1/2" wide but they are not sold by them through their website.
    So that's why I can't find any other pickups of that size. I don't know what the original Atelier Z pickups are like and if they make them in house. I'll check on that next.
    But I also found out that the pickups that I have in my bass are wound to emulate the sound of a 60s Jazz Bass. Which is probably why I'm not super crazy about them.They can custom wind a set for me that is more like a 70s Jazz. Different wire, fewer windings,More treble slightly scooped.
    I'm going to sell a few things on E-Bay and then place my order. The guy I talked to was very nice and extremely helpful. Seems like a really cool company.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im guessing you talked to adrian? did you mention that you have a humcancelling set? the singles have a 60 wind and a 70's wind with fewer windings, but as far as i know, theres no 70's humcancelling.

15. I talked to Stu and you're right, the 70s version is only available for the singles, but I can get a custom set made by them, that is not exactly like the 70s but closer than what I have. As you know I recently swapped out a set of SCNs for DiMarzio Ultras in my 74 Jazz. That was worthwhile.I really like the hotter output and the scoop, so now again I'm trying to dial in the Z just a little more.I love the sound and the feel of my Jazz but I have gotten so used to the 5 strings that I'm always more inclined to use the Z instead of the Jazz.

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    youre sticking with humcancelling right? the ultras are a very different design than what carey does with his humcancelling pickups. is there anyway you could see if a pickup maker could take the epoxy sealed ultrajazz 5 set out of their covers and mount them in the 4.5" cases?

17. Yes, I really do like the Ultras. They actually come out of the covers quite easily and I do have a spare set of 4 1/2" covers.. What creates a problem is that the holes don't line up. The ultras are just a little closer together. I could cut a slot into the covers for the polepieces but that would be kind of ugly. The polepieces would stick out over the plastic so laminating something on top would only work if i recessed the ultras inside the covers a bit.
    I suppose that could work but I'm not sure how much it would matter that the pole pieces wouldn't be centered on the strings.
    I guess the normal spacing on a 5er is 17mm and mine is 19mm that would mean that all the pole pieces are off.

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the ultrajazz 5 pickups arent meant for 17mm spacing but i can see how everyones pickups have slightly different pole spacing. i bought a set of fender 4 string covers a while back and the bridge pickup cover wouldnt fit the pole spacing on a duncan antiquity bridge pickup even though theyre both trad spacing. since you custom ordered from carey in the past, he might be willing to cut a pair of covers to the ultrajazz pole spacing. my nordstrand 5 string has the 4.5" covers but with 17mm spaced pickups in the shell.