Who else makes fannet-fret basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toe-mas, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    Dingwall, of course, and I know Conklin can do it in their customs, but who else will build basses with fanned frets?
  2. Chris Stambaugh just finished one, IIRC. Belongs to TBer Mark Roberts. Beautiful bass.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Jesse Blue of Ergo instruments makes fanned fretted guitars and basses but there are none pictured on his site.he's made 6,7,9,11 & 13 string instruments with fanned frets

4. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Pete Skjold has also done one for Juneau. I talked to Brian Barrett a while back and he said that Chris Benavente would do one too.
  6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    JP, BEE I believe has done one, Novax,
  7. Martin Petersen from Sei bass makes them - he made one for Pino Paladino.
  8. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    I made my first 5 string fanned fret in 1988 with a 32/34 inch scale.
    I am sure there are a few still flying around in Toronto Canada
    with my name on it
  9. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I wouldn't count on Pete Skjold building a fanned-fret for you. He might, but for him, its really more trouble than its worth. Mine is still being built, and while he did want to give it a shot once, Im not sure he'll do it again. Then again, money talks hehe.
  10. notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    :ninja: 34-36" scale headless Flamboyant sixer, with a lot of other custom options in the electronics, controls, and layout. Cocobolo facings over African Mahogany body; wenge neckthrough with mahogany stringers; Ebony 'board.

With luck I'll see the piece before the end of Summer.

RC a/k/a "notrt"
  11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Besides cutting the fingerboard to put the frets in the specific angle what other problems is he having????
  12. ok, someome explain this to me, what does a fanned fret instrument really offer to a player? ease of play? extended range? and like was posed above, besides cutting the neck differently, what else is changed?
  13. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Better intonation.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...intonation, yes, to a degree. But, it has more to do with string tension & fullness, especially on higher ERB's or very low F# etc.
    If you have an ERB(extended range bass) instrument usally consisting of 6+ strings with extreme tunings, a fanned fret system balances out(as in a grand piano), the differences in string gauges from hight to low.
    They're not for everyone & if you don't care for extreme tunings, I would not look into it...

my $0.02

PS: Most ERB players have rigs that work with their bass'...
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I don't believe it has anything to do with intonation. There are all sorts of other systems out there for intonation, but the fanned frets use the same 'formula' for fret placement as a standard parallel fret bass...just across varying scale lengths.

The fanned frets DO offer a more even string tension across the neck. They also offer a tonal benefit across the board and clarity due to increased string length on the lower notes. They offer an ergonomic benefit due to the way your wrist likes to bend depending upon the upper and lower ranges of the neck.
  16. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'd love to see pics of that when it's done.
  17. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

Yep I did a sixer that horace has for sale in the classified right now. And I'm working on jean baudin's 12 string right now.

Fanned frets are challenging and fun to build!

18. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    It's much more than that. You need to rethink the whole bass if you want to do it correctly. Pickup placement, body shape maybe, headtsock shape, neck joint, bridge and so on.

19. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Everything on this bass is different from a parallell bass. The pickup routes are angled instead of straight (new jig), The headstock will be angled as well, so the bevel will also be angled (new jig), the bridge pieces are individual, so will take some time to line up and place properly over a set bridge. Pete usually radius' the fingerboards after they are attached, and my pre-cut one is also pre-radiused. There are a lot of little things that make the process unique, requires new jigs, and a lot of planning to make sure it turns out right. Its not as simple as cutting the board differently.

And I wouldnt call them problems really, but it basically means he can't just throw this one into a batch of 10-12 like he normally does. All the extra time making sure things turn out right, the new jigs ect, make it problematic for a guy who builds 10 basses at the same time.