1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who else playing an outdoor gig today?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Playing a private party this evening. Record high temp of 106! Anybody else getting roasted with an outdoor gig? Yes I'm wearing shorts!

2. Did one last night,....started before the sun went down, thought I was gonna die. Unfortunately, outdoor gigs seem to be all the rage here in Tulsa. There are several venues. mostly restaurant/bars that have bands on the patio. Nice to have the work,...but geeze it's hot!

3. Got an outdoor gig this coming Wednesday night. It's still a bit far off, but the weather report says it'll be sunny and dry, in the high 70s to low 80s. Not to rub it in or anything, but these days it's good to be living in New England! :D

4. nazroth

nazroth

Apr 11, 2005
    tulsa oklahoma
    354 stage light& sound
    ya but here in Tulsa when it git's dark it git's nice with a breeze just not before Its like 106

5. Getting ready to head out set up for an outdoor wedding gig in an apple orchard. Sitting at 90 degrees right now and not a cloud in site. Should be a fun evening.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Did two outdoor gigs this week. Tuesday, flatbed stage in a gravel parking lot, no shade, temp around 100 with high humidity during setup but cooled down by the time we went on at 9 pm. The humidity though actually got worse after the sun went down. Poor turnout, not a fun gig.

Then last night, nice big real stage under a big tent, temps much cooler, low humidity and a light breeze blowing across the stage. Just about perfect and the crowd was good too.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Had 2 outdoor gigs this week! Horrible! Hot and constantly sweating! Ugh!

8. I played outdoors at Summerfest in Milwaukee on July 3. It was right around 100. The saving graces of our tiny, guerilla-style vendor-stall stage, were:

* It's right by the lake.
    * It's under shade.

So it was not _nearly_ so unpleasant a day as I thought it would be.

I got there around noon, and was there until 1:45am, and as long as I stayed near this stage, I was fine. Walking out and about over the blacktop was suicide; I did it a few times to get food, and quickly retreated to the shade and lake-wind. But evidently the heat is no deterrent to people's summer fun, as there were a boatload of people there.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    We had one today, 99 degrees for loadin and setup, clouded up and cooled off a bit by soundcheck, then halfway through the first song a strong storm blew in, destroyed one 10x10 canopy in front of us, blew the 10x20 we were under back into the street, blew down half a tree next door onto the keyboardists truck, knocked the light tree into the guitarists rig, knocked over half the drums, and thoroughly soaked everything including some expensive keyboards. We moved fast to get the gear under cover but it's just crazy how fast this storm came in. We were completely soaked by the time we got everything sheltered and then the rain stopped 10 minutes later. It's a miracle nobody got hurt. I left before finding out if we are still getting paid . . . :meh:

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I cancelled out of an outdoor gig due to the excessive heat and it turned out there were severe thunderstorms that would have shut it down anyway.

11. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

May 13, 2010
    Played a corporate picnic today 102 degrees, but a decent breeze helped. And hey, free tan!

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I got roasted at an indoor gig today.

I didn't wear shorts, but the rest of my band did.

I'm a tough old bird.