1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who Else Started Bass at 14, or some other crazy young age?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Jun 27, 2018.

1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    The thread on 'easy roots and fifths', and another about how you would do things dif if you could go back to the beginning got me reflecting on this...

Who else started bass at a crazy young age?

I started electric bass at 14. It was 1969.

I first noticed a bass in 1965, I was ten, when the University of BC had open house and my student sister dragged me to it. A rock band was warming up. The bass player's noodling around before the band starts, he had a big amp and they played Stones type stuff. I wondered what that thing was, it was not a guitar. I liked it. 4 years later I finally got a bass.

My first bass was a used 'Silvertone' that cost under $15, paid by my paper route money. It was horrible.

Gear sure has improved. I have multiple electrics and uprights now, some hand made and boutique. Gigs are good too, six paid casuals this week every one a dif band. Played about 5000 gigs since I started bass.

Glad I went to that UBC 'open house' 53 years ago.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I'm with you. I started playing bass at 13 years old.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    13 years old in 1986.
    But I don't think that's a "crazy" age. It was when I was physically big enough to play a full scale bass comfortably. Crazy would be like 6 or 7, which is the age some people I know started other instruments.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    13 in 1972. Perfectly reasonable age to start. Would have started sooner had there been an instrument around. Basically I've never met a musical instrument I didn't want to attempt to play, but the low end has always been #1...

Mr_Moo, sludgetail, Manticore and 4 others like this.
  5. mobdirt

mobdirt

Jun 14, 2017
    ya started around 14

sludgetail likes this.
  6. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Maybe 15? Heck I started trumpet in 3rd grade, then guitar around 12, then bass. Something finally stuck (for like 50 years and still going!).

7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I also started in 1969, though I was 13.

daveman50, Giffro and pjbassist like this.
  8. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    I think I was about 13-14, so about 2002-3. I was trying to decide between bass and guitar, being a big fan of Metallica and Blink 182. I loved seeing Jason Newsted and Mark Hoppus on stage, bass just seemed way cooler, so bass it was!:D:bassist:

pjbassist likes this.
  9. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    True.

The classical community may look at 13 or 14 as a late start. I've noticed with pro classical musicians, they start their child at 3 or 4, and train them through adulthood. They end up as either pros or hating the instrument. I'm sure there are exceptions to this.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Grumry, backin82, bassestkkm and 3 others like this.
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    1972...age 14. No real progress for a long time.
    Did not really begin shedding until 2 Summers later...spent hours in a room addition with no AC. Finally reached a place where I wanted to do this (bass)...badly.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. A real bass at 14 in 1969

Giffro likes this.
  12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Age 12 in ‘76. Learned Zeppelin II straight away and still play every day.

13. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Started guitar at 10 or 11. Switched to bass at 13.

shadven likes this.
  14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I started drum lessons at age 10 in 1966.

Giffro likes this.
  15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Yep. Started guitar at 13, bass followed about 6 months later.

10cc likes this.
  16. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Morro Bay, CA
    Got my first bass at age 10 or 11, around 1990, after playing guitar and clarinet for a couple years first. I grew up in a family of musicians with tons of different instruments (no bass though) laying around everyone's house and jam sessions at family get togethers.

BMGecko likes this.
  17. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Started on ukelele in summer school in the third grade... Guitar in 4th, Bass Violin in 5th, combined Bass violin and guitar and got in The schools Jazz band in the 7th Grade. Played my first bar gig in the 9th grade.

Had I not flunked kindergarten 8 times I think I would have made the cut off. ;)

18. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I started at about 15. My son started at 10 on electric and was playing upright by 14.

19. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    I started on double bass when I was 5, eb at 15

bassfran likes this.
  20. started at 13 in 1972 after seeing Geezer Butler play on "top of the pops" (British music show from the 60's/70's) and thinking he had to be the coolest MF in the known universe.