1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who Else Started Bass at 14, or some other crazy young age?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Jun 27, 2018.

1. The Schu

The Schu

Aug 28, 2017
    Lets see.... The year was 1966, so I was 12 years old. That was the year The Who came out with the album A Quick One, with "Boris the Spider" which my best friend and I enjoyed. The bass I played was a new Fender Precision bass in sunburst that belonged to my best friends brother. After school my friend would play drums, and I’d carefully play the bass, as I didn’t want his brother to find out I was playing it.

My father was a well-known music educator in the bay area (Phil Lesh was one of my dad’s students), and in the early ‘60’s I played trumpet, but my dad knew where my heart was, so he got me started on treble clef baritone horn, then bass clef baritone horn, then trombone, then Double Bass, and finally a Fender Precision bass which belonged to the school. I played that Fender Precision bass for a time (even some gigs) until I saved up enough money to buy my own electric bass a used 1965 Fender Precision bass with a Jazz neck, which I paid a whopping $275.00 to get without a case. Bass guitars come and go, but I still have my 1965 Fender Precision bass.

bassgtarman likes this.
  2. Bubba PhD

Bubba PhD

Nov 18, 2017
    New Orleans
    3rd generation musician sooo who knows when I started what? Mom taught all us kids Ukulele, I took piano lessons, school band etc.. There are slides of me as a baby teething on a Gibson tenor guitar. But I have these two: 1970 tuba and 1974 playing a school dance.

Ross-tuba. Ross-Salt-Bayou-Road-gig.

Old P Bass Guy likes this.
  3. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Bass at 19, piano at 5!

4. I was 11 years in 1966. My 14 year-old-brother had a band with no bass player. He talked me into playing bass. By 15, I was improvising countrapuntal lines and soloing (pre-slap bass, so they were melodic lines).

5. We were the house band at a restaurant cabaret in Surrey BC called the Tropic Isle (now closed). I probably did 50-100 gigs there before i was 14.

6. Hossman21

Hossman21

Apr 17, 2018
    Syracuse, NY
    Sorry. I started at 49. Played guitar since I was 19. Never even picked up a bass in 30 years of singing in several bands. Finally I bought one (bass) for a group I am in with two other talented (more so than I) guitar players. We needed a bass so I took one for the team. It changed my life. I have never been so consumed by the guitar as I am by my Hamer Cruisebass. Better late than never. I wish I had started when I was a kid. I feel like I wasted many years.

7. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    London, UK
    Started dabbling at 14, got my first proper bass at 15.

I started playing bass because I heard this song. This music literally changed my life.

20 years later only now can I say I feel I'm actually any good...

8. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I started on guitar at 14, played in my first band for 2 years, and quit to switch to bass. Gigging was my job in High School. I made more playing every Fri and Sat than I could at a "real" job.

9. grocker

grocker Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Ormond Beach
    When I was about 10 or 11yrs old, I was at a boat yard party with my parents. A country band was playing, they went on break..
    I wasn't paying much attention to the whole thing but walked by the stage and a candy apple red fender bass was on stage amongst other instruments. For some reason as I walked by I just stared at the bass,I couldn't control it. Years later I wanted to play guitar,long story short, my Grandma's cousins neighbor had a guitar for sale I was told,boyfriend bought it for now ex girlfriend..Never used,I opened the case, it was a red Ibanez bass,at first I was like this isn't a guitar and said to my Mom and Grandma but I'll play bass I guess, I was 14...now 34yrs later, started playing in 1985 i believe.

10. MBASSTT

MBASSTT

Mar 4, 2017
    Orchard Park NY
    When I was around 13 the reverend at our church taught my brother and I a few chords on guitar. He would call square dances on Saturdays and invited us to play with him, he owned an upright bass and asked if I was interested in giving it a whirl. The rest is history, I did my first bar gig at 15 and since then have had quite a ride playing anything from thrash to blues. Being that there was no drummer in the square dance band, playing those root 5ths all night gave me a solid sense of rhythm!

11. frankieboytwo

frankieboytwo

Mar 26, 2014
    At 15 I started 6 string acoustic lessons and later took piano lessons. Bass was my goal, but I thought it better to learn some basics first. A few years later I bought my first bass at our local music store. My choices were a Gibson Ripper and a Musicman Stingray. Hmmmmm.........I knew Gibson makes good stuff, but I'd never heard of this Musicman (it was their first year of sales). Better stick with what I know, I said. I've regretted that decision ever since! Of course, I would probably have sold it or traded it a few years later like musicians are prone to do for new gear. But, man, there's a chance I could still own that first year StingRay!

12. PeteOlig

PeteOlig

May 29, 2007
    I started with upright bass at 14. Electric came shortly thereafter. Still going, but there's plenty to learn yet.

13. BillLee64

BillLee64

Jul 2, 2014
    Great question. I started at 1

14. BillLee64

BillLee64

Jul 2, 2014
    I started at 14 in 1978 and just love the bass. I'm also a baritone voice actor so for me, it is all about the bass. This journey has been the most rewarding endeavor and I just love it. Thank you Mom for the gene. You're my hero.

15. Owen118

Owen118

Oct 25, 2017
    I was twelve when I started

16. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I come from a multi-generational musical family on both sides (Mom and Dad, grandparents and great grand parents).
    My Dad was a working pro bass and low brass (Tuba, trombone) player as well as a vocal teacher.
    My Mom was a symphonic flute player, a pretty kick ass pianist and good vocalist.
    I started playing piano when I was 6, and had lessons until I was 18.
    I started playing upright when I was 8. Started on electric when I was 10.
    had my first paying gig when I was 12 (Lions Club teen dance night in 1968)
    started taking some of my Dads overbooks when I was 13 (casuals are a great, very immediate learning experience) and did my own bands from the time I was 13 until today.

17. Sixteen years old for this boy. Completely bypassed guitar; went directly to bass.
    Later, in high school, I began my string bass studies.
    No, a bass is not a guitar with two fewer strings...
    stevieg

18. Jeff Bean

Jeff Bean

Jan 24, 2016
    Seattle
    I was nine. And that was an upright bass. Carried it home from school every weekend on my stingray bike, holding it with one hand. (I was a big kid.)

I was twelve or thirteen when an older kid who fancied himself a rocker and played guitar needed a bass player, so I spent my orchard-working money to buy a cheap $50 hollowbody electric bass. We played Jumping Jack Flash and China Grove and I think one other song - over and over again until the set was done.

That hollowbody was probably was a Lyle. I later sold it to buy a 1972 Fender Precision. I wish I had them both now.

19. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I started playing bass at 12 years old, which is about 35 years ago.

20. Started in 1971, I was 13.

Played trombone in the school band starting in 5th grade (I guess I was 10...?).