Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who else uses a mic preamp as a bass pre?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by l0calh05t, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Today I was at a local music store and bought myself a mindprint envoice, and I am currently using it as a preamp for my combo (if someone here wants to give me 1400€ I'll be able to complete my new rig by adding a QSC RMX850 and a Glockenklang Double)

[​IMG]

So who else uses a mic preamp as a bass preamp?

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Interesting....I have been thinking about doing this for a while now. I was recording in the studio and I was thinking how great the sound was. I don't get that sound live. Mic pre's are better for accurate adjustment better than bass specific preamps. I've decided to mix my bass signal between a mic pre and a tube bass preamp. This should get me that studio mix of miking a cabinet and taking a direct signal.

Check this one out. It's pricey but it's the last preamp that I'll ever buy. www.vintech-audio.com

3. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I use an ART TubeChannel. This thing sounds glassy smooth. I highly recommend it, as long as a rear only input doesn't bother you.

4. My dream preamp would be an Avalon VT-737sp *drool*

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That Avalon is one of the pre's that I used in the recording studio when I started thinking about all of this. Beautiful preamp.

6. But the Mindprint I bought is also real nice, especially the Tube saturation control feature is nice

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I've thought about doing the same thing. Most bass preamps include compressors, gates, etc, maybe a crossover, sometimes even effects that will be old news next year when the preamp is still great. I don't want all that. I want a high-quality preamp that is JUST a preamp. If I want a compressor, I'll get a good, dedicated compressor instead of the little one or two knob compressors found in most bass heads or preamps. I have thought that a studio mic preamp might be the way to go. They should have enough gain adjustment to work with an instrument or mic. If not, then I'll get a good DI to feed into it, but it shouldn't be needed for most units, I think.

I've looked at the ART preamps. And I want to try one made by Aphex. I don't remember the model number of the Aphex I think I want, but I have it at home. I downloaded the owners manual from their site and it looks like just the ticket.

8. mgood, the mindprint and the avalon do have integrated effects, both have an eq and a compressor plus some more extra feature but not many, for something that can be used as a pure preamp i would say use an Avalon U5 DI or M5 (if you have the money)

9. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Thanks. I have glanced at Avalon, but don't claim to know anything about them.

The ART I like. I want to try the Aphex I mentioned to see just how much better it sounds. The Aphex is much more expensive, being a fairly high-end studio mic pre, and I want to give it a listen to see if the extra cost is justified. Aphex is a brand I trust, having used their aural exciters, compressors, etc, so I'm going to give them a shot before I make any decisions. But I'm open to checking out all kinds of stuff along the way.

10. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Here is the Aphex Model 207 which is the one I'm hunting for. It has two channels, which I probably won't need for bass, but which will come in handy for home recording of other things.

[​IMG]

It lists at $649.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've used an ART in the past and it sounded great! Why did I ever take it out of the rack????? :eek:

12. Bonzai

Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Nathan East uses an Avalon U5 with his DB750 for all of his live gigs. He also swears by Avalon gear in the stuido. Can't beat his recommendations thats for sure. He is kinda good ya know :D

13. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    How do you guys wire these things?

Does it go bass-->mic pre-->poweramp-->cabinet

Or is it wired some other way?

I'm new to the world of mic preamps.

thanks

14. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Yes. That's the basic setup.

It could go bass-->mic pre-->compressor (or any other signal processing you want to add)-->poweramp-->cab.

There are a few variations on the basic theme. Some mic pre's may have an effects loop.

15. I use a Presonus Blue Tube mic pre in my rack. I needed something because the output level of my SABDDI was too low for the Carvin FET 450 power amp I have. The Blue Tube is awesome. Also, it's two channel so I can have one "normal" and the other with a little boost for soloing etc.

My current set up:
    RB5>SABDDI>Blue Tube>Carvin FET 450>Hartke 2x10

Works for me!

16. I basically also do the same thing but internally my mic pre is actually mic pre-->eq-->compressor but I might put an external limiter and a gate (my Yamaha compressor) behind the unit...

17. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

I have been using the Mind Print Envoice as my main pre for 2 yrs. now. You have made a very wise purchase my friend. Enjoy!
    PEACE!!!!!, Johno!

18. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    In fact, it is possible to get quite sensational results with not much. The little ART Mic pre's are practically the "Swiss Army Knife" of input tone control. With those little guys it is possible to get a huge fat tone with tons of depth going into any amp with any bass. The Tube channels are cool because of the other stuff they have, but you'll get 98% of what you're looking for with just the little ones. I use one with a Walter Woods to warm it up. A really nice feature is you can compensate for any output level. For instance the StingRays have this massive output while Jazz Basses have a really low output. No problem. Only issue I have is the little ART Pre's can have some grounding hum and you end up with a gaggle of wires on the head to set up and tear down everytime. Otherwise, they're the cat's meow.

- pt

19. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I've also been looking at the mindprint, and the SPL track one... both at around 600€. Any comments on the SPL?

20. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I have been using a Behringer Ultragain1200 MicPre that is supposed to be tube for a couple weeks. It is not tube! It has a couple LED's behind the tube in the front panel that light up to make the tube appear glowing. I went ghetto with this purchase and i am paying for it. I will check this site and Harmony Central for now on before buying.

I was sorta happy at first but the thing sounds different everytime its turned on. Stay away from this thing! I guess the sound improvment I noticed initially was basically alot more power by using a crown amp over my old head. I am also using a SWR Goliath3.

My Sansamp RBI is coming today via FedEx. I bought this specifically D/T postings on this board. (Long time lurker) I wish I would have heard about Avatar before I plunked down $800 for my SWR cab.:bawl: