1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who else wants a my favorite headache tour??? (Geddy Lee)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Presto2112, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Rush is done for the most part and I'm still saddened. Geddy should really tour his solo album even if it's only like 10 cities or something. The r40 tour he used the 4080, 4236, vintage fenders, Rickenbackers, and zemaitis's. I'm glad he used some unique basses this past tour

2. Oh and thunderbirds

3. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    That could be a cool gig.
    Like the sound of it.
    Maybe a Victor/Headache tour.

Presto2112 likes this.
  4. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    IIRC, he was planning on doing a small tour after the album was released, but shortly after that Neil said he was ready to come back and that was that. I think it would be awesome if he did go on a solo tour at some point. But why should it be a “My Favorite Headache” tour? Why not get a follow-up album together and play songs from both?

hrodbert696 likes this.
  5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    ^^^ +1

Why would he tour an album that's 15 years old? Better to include MFH songs in the setlist for a new studio album's tour. For me it wasn't a hit, and in fact find that the kind of singing he does in the album is precursory to the way vocal melodies are made afterwards in Rush albums. Pretty monotonous. My fave period for Geddy's vocals is probably somewhere between Signals and Counterparts. It's the time I think his vocal melody composition offers the best gems. There's no other band I've been a fan of more than Rush, ever. I just miss some better vocal melodies on a big portion of their work, would just love them even more if vocals were more developed (Coheed&Cambria developed, i.e.). Still Geddy would definitely need to expand his solo work to further tour if Rush calls it quits.

6. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Geddy should release a new album, THEN tour - he'd have enough material for a proper show without dipping into any RUSH material.

I thought My Favorite Headache was a pretty good album. Much better, in fact, then most of Rush's albums released after Roll The Bones (god, I hated Counterparts with a passion). That's not saying it was amazing, but it was pretty solid and consistent (and "Working at Perfekt and Runaway Train were great songs). So I definitely hope he releases a follow-up.

(Thought: What surprised me on this album was that Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron seemed to play very basic parts - he is no Neil Peart but he is definitely a far more talented and dynamic drummer than the no-frills (fills? ;) ) playing you hear on this record would have you believe. That's not a bad thing, by the way, it fits the material, just an observation that perhaps he was instructed to keep it more rock/pop and less prog so that it wouldn't sound like a RUSH album...I wonder?)

(2nd Thought: I agree, Adruca - he was on a roll vocally and melodically at that period. I think Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto and Roll The Bones were his peak - and I thought Clockwork Angels was disappointing (overall, but mostly due to the very weak and ineffective vocal melodies))

andruca likes this.
  7. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Funny to hear differences of opinion: I loved Counterparts, and still do. My favorite of their 90's output.

I thought My Favorite Headache was outstanding. Different enough from Rush to make it unique, but close enough for something to hold on to. His bass work was fantastic and with one exception I thought the songs as a whole were awesome.