1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who exactly is the frontman of Kiss?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Waspinators, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    For so many years I've wondered, who is the frontman for Kiss? Logic would dictate that it's Paul, considering he usually did the lead vocals, but still most people seem to think of Gene as the leader of the band. Who do you consider the frontman (provided that you give a damn)?

2. filter

filter

Jun 7, 2003
    Atl, GA
    I always see Gene listed as the lead singer. Paul is the heart and soul of the band and LEAD sings maybe 90% of the songs.
    Just more of Gene's ego.:rollno:

3. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Yeah if you ask me, Paul is the frontman and Gene is just proof that there is such thing as a "bass-tard".

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

/thread

Gene Simmons is Bass-Tard Club Member #1

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    If being a bass-tard means having a ton of money and sleeping with a Playmate, I'll build the first wheel on that bandwagon.:D

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Depends on what you're asking.

Gene Is the leader of the band. He definitely leads the business, and he may own the name.

On stage, yeah, Paul is the lead singer.

7. And playing in front of literally millions of people on stages that pretty much blow up every night.........then I will build the second wheel of that bandwagon. :D

8. Paul is always the one who speaks to the crowd at live shows, so in my book that makes him the frontman.

9. I would go with the Starchild.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Front man and Leader of the Band are two different things to me. Different jobs.

I believe Paul is the front man, but Gene is definitely the leader of the band.

11. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    +1, was reading through the thread waiting to say the same thing. :) Front man is a stage role, and does not imply leadership of the band, which is a business-oriented role.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Paul is the front man. Gene is the business man. Both are getting/have gotten plenty of fame, money and chicks.

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Pffft. Paul? Gene? Way off base.

THIS guy dictates what Kiss will do and when they will do it:

800px-United_States_one_dollar_bill%2C_obverse.

DISCLAIMER - I am a fan, at least of their first few albums.

14. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    George Washington? From the grave he does this?

15. The demon breathes fire. The demon flies around the arena. The demon gets away with playing (bad) bass solo's. KISS revolved around the image of the demon because it was 12 year old kids like me who fell in love with the demon and couldn't give a toss what he did for a living.

The rest of the band was incidental to the fact their was a 7 foot demon on stage, breathing fire and flying. The demon spoke to the crowd just as much as Paul.

The demon IS KISS.

:D

16. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Im a very big Kiss fan.

Gene Simmons is sort of the face of Kiss, he plays the bass and sings a few songs. He also is the buissness end of things. Hes what most people look at as the frontman because of his stage antics.

Paul Stanely is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist. He also writes the majority of the bands music and lyrics. If you buy live CDs he is the voice between songs.

If you ask them they probably consider them selves co-leaders. They are the only guys that have been in the band throughout its entire existence.

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The frontman for Kiss? The merchandise.

18. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    It doesn't.

19. Paul is the frontman/onstage leader of Kiss. Gene is the leader offstage. Paul says it's all about the music, and Gene says it's all about the money.

20. The guy with the cellulite.