1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who gets closest to a Fender Jazz P/U?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gustobassman, Aug 5, 2012.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Let me start with saying I did a search but couldn't really find the answer i was looking for.

I am getting ready to put a deposit on a new custom passive 5 string so i can retire my Fender from road duty. My builder suggested i go with the Seymour Duncan Antiquity series as opposed to buying overpriced (according to him) Fender Custom Shop p/u's. Will this pickup get me "close" to the Fender sound i love? Is there any other manufacturer that can cop the Fender tone pretty well?

Thanks
    G

2. Doesn't Fender sell non-Custom Shop PU's? Just the stock ones? If not, try finding some secondhand..

3. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm sure they do. I'm kinda interested in seeing some opinions about the S.D. Antiquities Vs. the Fender P/u's. I have no real experience with the Duncans. I might've been unclear in the OP.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you're talking about the stock fender american standard jazz V pickups, those are fine, but hardly "boutique" or custom shop. they have molded plastic bobbins which put a layer of plastic between the windings and the magnets; this is not quite the same as a true "vintage" fender pickup, which has the wire wrapped directly onto the magnets. in theory, the distance increase of the gap means a decrease in the magnetic field.

it's a hair-splitting, cork-sniffing kind of difference, but it is a difference.

as such, the more classically-built duncans might actually be an upgrade.

5. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    the duncan 5s are great. i also like the hansons that lakland uses

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Aguilar seems to be getting tons of hype for their Jazz pickups. Heck, Stuart Spector uses them in his Jazz clones so they must be the real deal.

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    What I was going to say! I presume your search is the usual search for a hum-cancelling jazz 5er pickup that sounds most like a classic Fender Single coil.
    If you want a true sigle coil pickup I notice that Antiquity pickups don't seem to come in 5 string versions. Personally, like everyone else I love single coil tone, but hate single coil hum. Hence the search.

All I can say is that my search took me through a number of pickups and for me I became convinced that Nordstrand was the "the answer", but talking about price, they are it! So after a lot of hmmming and hawing, I gave plain old Fender SCN pickups a try. They proved EXCELLENT. My bass just came alive with them! Naturally like all the cool stuff Fender comes up with they've been discontinued. It took a bit of scrounging, but I was evenutally able to come up with a pair of NOS SCNs at a decent price. Nordies, are of course always available (get out wallet).

And my Nordie-SCN choice was based upon a TB thread (which you can probably locate with a diligent search) where someone else came to this conclusion first. The thread is especially interesting in that descriptions are not only made of various pickups but also of the subtle differences between the SCN and Nordies (He liked them both about equally).

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings
    just a reminder that Nordstrand does custom pups. Even the "regular" pickups can be under or over wound to fit one needsÂ…

M

9. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    If you want the sound of Fender pups, get Fender pups. How much is the difference in price anyway, especially if you're getting a custom bass?

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had some Fralins that sounded pretty close, only better.

11. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira Banned

Apr 29, 2012
    I've never liked Fender 5 string pickups. Don't think they cope the 4 string Fender vibe at all...

There's a few pickups that could get you in the right direction.

Names like Nordstrand, Lollar, Fralin, Aguilar and Duncan come to mind.