Who gets the most attention in your band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Lead vocalist?

24 vote(s)
  2. Drummer (yeah, right)?

1 vote(s)
  3. You (the bassist)?

9 vote(s)
  4. Lead guitarist?

7 vote(s)
  5. Rhythm guitarist?

0 vote(s)
  6. Merle, the lighting guy (other)?

4 vote(s)
  1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Just for fun, a chance to do some bad-mouthing and the opportunity to boost my post count ;) -- who gets the most attention in your band? Does anyone ever get jealous of that? Anyone ever exacted their vengeance on the object of their jealousy? Does it ever seem that certain members go out of their way to be the center of attention?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I said 'Lead Singer' although we all shake out fairly even. Most of the places that we play, the lead singer also does acoustic gigs on off nights, so he kinda knows everybody to begin with.

4. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    actually it prolly is my drummer...well see he is the best drummer i have heard since i started playing. like the guy could play any DMB song in the world if he had the same set as Carter Beauford. so yeah we always make sure there is a drum solo somewhere in the gig and everytime everyone on stage and in the audience is blown away by him. so yeah...then next to him is my lead guitarist/lead singer(same guy) for obvious reasons if you ever see us....he dances...more than dave matthews if that means anything to you..me, well i just kinda hide in the shadows and watch the rest the band, most the time...
  5. I'd say we all get about equal recognition in my band.

Our main guitarist gets attention for being the only girl in the band

Our guitarist/drummer/aspiring bassist gets attention for being that really smart, really talented guy that most people are really jealous of. :p

Our other guitarist/drummer gets recognition for being the break dancing Korean guy

I get recognition for being insane enough to actually get a HK$10,000 bass when I haven't ever played in my life before the purchase...and being able to hold a killer groove. ;):D
    (Ok, so maybe I can't hold a KILLER groove, but I can still groove better than the rest of the band combined. :D)
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the keyboard/vocalist in my band gets the most attention because he looks kinda like ricky martin and is a spaz onstage, followed by the horn section, then the drummer, then me. i just chill in the back except for when i have a solo. then everyone pays attention. :D

7. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    well, me, 'coz i sing lead as well as play bass - my lines tend to be fairly prominent in our songs as well, so it's not like people are sitting there whining about the lack of bass :) although i wasn't always singing - we had a *proper* singer at one stage, and this gave me more oppurtunity to cut sick onstage (which i used to do a lot. y'know, throwing me bass around, gyrating wildly on the front of the kick-drum, playing naked, etc.) ... so i guess it's always been me :D haha
    we're now only a trio, so i'd actually like to think that everyone gets noticed equally. although our drummer is kind of sub-par, he's such a eccentric guy (belches loudly during a solo, falls asleep during the mellow bits, drops one stick and tries to keep playing whilst he searches around for it) that everyone loves him.
    likewise, our guitarist indulges in the pot quite a bit and so tends to drool and lurch back and forth uncontrollably as he's playing, something which people really get off on ? never understood it myself.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The singer because she's a young hottie, has about 15 tattoos, and dresses in a catholic girl school get-up.

(Alternately, whoever is singing lead because 4 of us take turns on about half of our stuff. Unless our babe is singing backup, which would default the attention back to her.)

Then me, because I jump around and freakout while most everyone else stays pretty mellow. I don't do it for the attention, that's just how I play even in practice. I'm also bigger than everyone in the band and I dress pretty squirrelly as opposed to the rest of them except the singer.

Then the horn section collectively because of their rarity.

Then the guitar player and drummer on equal measure. Neither really solos though they are solid musically. I guess them not being noticed much would be considered a complement.
  9. In my old band it was the drummer. He was spazzy and dropped his snare drum and threw his sticks. In the new band its me. :) Seriously...
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    This post/poll is turning out nicely. :) In my band, it's the singer who gets all the attention. We joke that he is starting to get LSD -- Lead Singer's Disease. Sometimes I tell him that, "Without us, you are just a karaoke singer." I guess I don't really mind that no one gets as much attention as he does. What does get me steamed, is when someone specifically asks what someone else's name is and he won't tell (this actually happened at one of our more recent gigs).

GIRL: "Who is that guy? What's his name?"
    MY SINGER: "Bill."
    ME: "C'mon Scott. The one time someone asks about someone other than you and you can't stand to oblige 'em?"
    MY SINGER: "Okay, okay -- the guitarist's name is Jim."
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    All I ever hear is Marsha Marsha Marsha, sorry couldnt resist.

12. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    The drummer in my band want to be the next Kieth Moon. He is already planning ways of blowing up his drum kit. That would get him noticed.
  13. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I DO!!!
    When I hand out the pay to the rest of the band.
  14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Has anyone heard of Kilkus from Harlow (England)? If you ever have the chance for any reason then go see them, the DJ is a maniac. He jumps around the stage like a complete psycho then when they finish he starts moshing to all the other bands. The last time I went to see him he was moshing and his lip ring got ripped out and he didn't even stop, there was blood all over his t-shirt. He's a good DJ as well...

But for my band it's the singer, Bob gets all the attention, we've played one gig (in our final school assembly) and everyone said how good HE was but didn't mention us once, the only mention I got was from a bass playing punker girl (she's not bad:D) who said I was really good:).
  15. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    I do! I am the best looking guy in our band, and I have never failed to go home with a hot chick after the gig.

Of course, that chick is my wife and she isn't exactly in awe of my musical abilities.... he he

Actually, our keyboard player gets the most attention becuase he plays a Jerry Lee Lewis style honky tonk keyboard and brings the house down with his versions of "Great Balls of Fire" and "Whole Lotta Shakin."
  16. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    In my band it was the 1st Lead Guitarist Kyle gets the most attention-he cuts loose on the solos, Rythm Guitarist 2nd Shane cause he was a huge ditz/moron e.g. Lets go get high then come to practice [he did several times], head bangs like crazy,3rd Me-i'm the biggest guy in the band, I stand semi-upright doin like a sway front to back, i tend to have a group of girls around me-they don't have a clue what i'm doin they just think it looks cool & most of the time they know me, & i tend to play through the biggest amp since for our end of year show i borrowed an Ampeg 70s Flip Top SS amp w/the 15. Drummer was usually either kyle [lead guitarist] or somebody just sittin in for that show. That band is now none existant though cause i left them for the school music program. thats all

17. All I ever hear is Marshall Marshall Marshall

Wheres the bass? ;)
  18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    For criticism...the singer. :rolleyes: He's very good, too, but people always want to comment on the singer, because everyone "knows" singers, regardless of whether they can or not (not playing being a common reason why they don't comment on the rest). Sigh...

For everything else, me and the drummer are pretty tied. I wish he'd get it.
  19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Our Drummer gets the most attention.Not only is he a good player,but hes a comedian too.I probably get the least attention,and thats fine with me.I have no desire to be in the spotlight.
  20. Depends on who's watching. So far.. we haven't played live.. so whoever our parents want to watch.. they watch. I think I get a few more looks because they're not used to so much bass, hehe. :)