Who goes buck-toothed when they groove?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I do. I was playing with a few people the other day, and they started teasing me! I'm not a bucktoothed person, but when I play bass, it slips. :cool:
  2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I don't go buck tooth per say but I think I do strange thinks with my mouth when I get into it.
    Whenever I use a wah wah I can't help mouthing what I'm playing. Nobody can. :D
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's called a "rictus", in scientific circles. :D
  4. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    That's what I've always called " The White Man Overbite." It's the same thing we do when some us white guys try to dance!
  5. Water

Feb 16, 2005
    I dont really buck tooth it up but I drool if I play something that takes effort. It's kind of annoying.
  6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I always kind of pucker my lips in this funny shape. I think its a throwback to my old trumpet embouchure. But i mean, c'mon. Everyone has a bit of Bass Face now and then.
  7. BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    If it gets really rough, I roll both my lips and bite. I don't even notice until its over and lips are hurting like hell. For a while I was wearing a football mouthpiece to kepp from doung it.
    :scowl: :rollno: :scowl: :rollno: :scowl:
  8. When ever I am doing a difficult part I bite my tongue, :meh: the guys were picking on me at the last band practice. They said I looked pretty goofy. I always try to watch for it but some times I forget. Our key boardist starts breathing real harshly :confused: when he is doing hard parts (sounds funny). Our drummer starts humming :rollno: to the melody some times. At one gig our sound guy was confused because he was getting this funny humming, we died laughing when we found out the drummers condenser mics were picking up his intermittent humming.
  9. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    I was going to post, but it's a good thing I read through the thread first... :smug:
  10. Whenever I slap my guitarist tells me i move my mouth funnily. i have yet to believe him. :p
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 I don't use a wah in the band, but at home I like to turn on the autowah to songs (like Crazy Train). My wife makes fun of me mouthing the notes, but I can't help it :D
  12. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    This doesn't actually happen to me, but when ever I play bass, anyone who can hear it immediately start tapping their foot. Is there a scientific name for this?
  13. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Yea... My mouth goes gaped and the teeth come out... I look goofy as hell.... :p
  14. Count_Bassy

Feb 3, 2005
    San Diego
    My bass teacher does that, especially while playing funk. He calls it the funk face...

I never do this, but some funny habbits I have are walking arond while I play.

*ok, I'm groovin'... hey I wonder what's over there!*

It drive the drummer crazy. :spit:
  15. I've been told I look contract-killer deadly-serious when I'm laying down the groove at a gig. I don't know how or why I do it, it's not like I take myself seriously...
  16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    pictures of this malady are a definite requirement.
  17. haha i used to do that do back when i started out playing 3 years ago. ur SO concentrated u dont even notice ur drooling until its exiting ur mouth haha!

luckilly it stopped :)
  18. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    yea...it sucks...only when practicing though..not live
  19. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I only have the angry face, when it's a diggin' in tough section... or the pulling lips in and biting thing like was described above, when I'm grooving or just kinda lost in it.

I have pics probably, but umm, I think I'll keep them to myself.

At least my guitarist makes worse faces to counteract...

20. Nope, but when I play something difficult i tend to stick out the tip of my tongue :p (used to do the same as i was a kid when doing something difficult... some things never change)