Who Got Rid of Their Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It seems to me that Sadowskys are the most loved basses on this forum. Who owned a Sadowsky and decided that it wasn't the bass for you? If so, what was wrong with it?
  2. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000

I did: it happens the day I realized that there were few, very few, vintage Fenders out there that could play even better than a sadowsky.
    So I sold my Sadowsky Jazz and now I got the real thing: a '78 Jazz bass that really kicks a..

Oh....I have to say that I also got a sadowsky outboard pre for the Jazz that is just the perfect preamp for a Jazz bass; but you know: it is the icy on the cake, and the cake is all in the bass itsself.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've sold 4 Sadowsky bbasses but the sale was due to a purchace of a different Sadwosky. :)
  4. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I did..great resale value for another GAS item :D
  5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I had a beautiful '59 burst Standard 5. It had the Barts on it, so the tone was darker than I was looking for. Fantastic in every other respect except one, it had some horrific dead spots, including one at the A note on the E which was a deal breaker for me, but also 2 bad ones at the 6th & 7th on the G string. I tried tweaking the setup and changing strings to no avail. I thought maybe it was something I was doing, but I saw another thread where the original owner complained of the same issue.

I'd have switched out the PUPs for the tone, but had no cure for the dead spots.

I won't be critical of Sadowsky though. Even though I prefer Laklands, my first Lakland (oddly enough also a burst) and I never could get any bottom end out of it, so the occasional problem child can happen to anyone.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Sadowsky.
  6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I had a beautiful 5 strong honey colored quilt top Sadowsky with custonm Sadowsky pups. I later changed to SD vintage pups. I could never get the sound I wanted out of this bass, and I really did not like the very flat FB radius. I tried many different strings, setups, and amps. I ended up offloading it to someone who better appreciates it for what it is. I have absolutely no desire for any other basses now, and I rotate between my 69 jazz and 66 precision. These do everything I want.
  7. That was my reason both times too.
  8. I toy with the idea of selling my Sadowsky PJ4 spalt but if so, it will be replaced with another Sadowsky.
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Anybody else *want* to? :D

I can't wait until people start to sell used metros :hyper:
  10. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I sold my '92 Sadowsky 24 Fret with an amazing 5A Quilt top. Even after I swapped out the Sadowsky electronics for Barts/Aggie pre, I still didn't like the sound. Guess it came from the snappy maple board, and I've never really cared for maple.

And yes, another GAS item took it's place! But that wasn't why I originally sold it. I just liked the sounds of my Fender Am Deluxe 5 and Frankenbass P/MM much better!

11. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Great minds think alike :D :eek: :smug:
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i sold one, but i sell everything! ask Nino! ;)

my reason: it was a Tokyo and was too heavy for me, also the singlecoils hummed when soloed and I can't deal with that in any bass..
    it did sound VERY good, though.
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bass NW has had a used ash/maple Vintage J in near mint condition for over a month now with nothing but tire kicking (I was one kicker...almost bit but I'm a P guy at heart).

Maybe the market is saturated?
  14. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Or, maybe it's the color. I dig it, but Sea Foam Green's not for everybody.
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You and me both!!!!! :)
  16. you Luckydog.
  17. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Sadowsky is pretty much the only bass that I HAVEN'T sold :D
  18. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    I've got two that are identical in spec other than colour - 4 string, maple board, maple top, ash body, and I'm often tempted to sell one to get a 5 string. Problem is, the one I like to play the most isn't the best looking one!! :D But yeah, at some point I'll probably shift the looker (it's a cherry sunburst with an amazing quilt top) and replace it with a 5 string.
  19. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I bought this Sadowsky 5 and had the shop install a new set of Sadowsky soapbars and standard 2-band preamp with passive tone control. This is the perfect bass for me, and I'm currently auctioning off my Sadowsky Standard 4.
  20. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Glad you like it Todd!

And I did find one I like a lot better -- an MTD 535 with tulipwood back, mrytle top and wenge/wenge board.

Between it and a Frankenbass project P/MM I bought from TB'er lwleaver, I've got all I really need.

Of course, that doesn't explain the 6 others laying around...