1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who has a non-music job and can have long hair and/or beard?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stumbo, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    92.6%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Not me.

List your job and skills it took to get/keep the job.

2. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    US Security Associates = no long hair. We are allowed a groomed beard.

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    SQL/marketing analyst

We can have beards but my department doesn't allow hair longer than the bottom of your ears (if you're a guy). IS, on the other hand, can do whatever - one girl has a flock of seagulls, heavy gauges, and a chest piece with matching sleeve.

4. sinogaya

sinogaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I work for my school's annual giving
    Were just behind a computer screen and a headset.
    No one cares how you look like as long as you wear enough clothing

5. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I work as a custom builder in a woodshop. Since my job requires specific skills that have to be honed over time if you can do the work and show up nobody cares about hair and beards. Lots of people claim they can do the work but few are as good as they say and it makes you worth a premium when you can walk the walk.

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Machine shop:

Whatever hair you want, dress however you want, and say whatever word you want. Pretty much all manners are left at the door. Long as your aren't a jerk or insanely stupid, you can do whatever you want with your image as long as the job gets done.

General attire is ratty jeans, cruddy t shirt and hats are pretty common. A few guys have large beards, and everyone has short hair, but nobody would have a problem with long hair. Nobody grows their hair out because it gets insanely hot in the shop.

7. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Sports retail/management. It is a family business, which helps, but I have a lot of expertise in the specific sports we do and I doubt I'd have any trouble getting a job in a similar shop.

No shoes, long hair, no uniform and I shave when I want. I live in a fairly relaxed/touristy area which makes it easier to get away with that sort of thing too.

Then again, this is Australia and an area with a strong surf culture to boot. I know people in all sorts of jobs with hair that's nearly as long and unkempt as mine.

Occasionally I'll get a customer who's a bit standoffish, presumable because I'm fairly young and a little untidy, but generally they'll come around fairly quickly once we start talking.

8. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I work in a jail as a therapist. I have a sleeve and beard.

9. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    Haha! I don't have enough hair to grow! But I think I could if I had. Dvm+PhD student

10. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    Working full-time retail customer service in a regional mall, I sport a 2" tall dark-blue mohawk popping up from a salt & pepper stubble side-buzz and a nearly snow white full beard two inches below the top of my sternum.

iJazz - I also stand out in a crowd.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've been a paramedic since dinosaurs roamed the prairies. And it really depends on which service/hospital/both you are working for.

I worked for both of the two largest private provider ambulance corporations in America. One let me have a beard. One initially said no facial hair, then mustaches were allowed, then goatees, then I think they went out of business. I don't believe those events are connected in any way.

I've worked for a few hospitals. Generally all were okay with pretty much any length hair as long as it was kept under control. And beards are okay as long as they are groomed. We had an LVN on the surgical floor who had the longest mullett possibly still in existence until recently. I saw him Friday and his hair is shorter than mine (where I actually have hair) He looked really different, but I couldn't place why, because from the from the front it should have been the same.

12. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I've had quite a few people suggest I join a ZZ Top tribute band on account of my hair, beard and stature. I worked for years in construction with this look and it was never an issue. Now I play music full time, but recently I was at the mall near Christmas time and the mall "Santa" tried to recruit me. It was an upscale mall with an old time Santa with a real beard and "St Nicholas" outfit, as opposed to the cheesy fire engine red suit with white faux fur trim, fake hair and beard.

13. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Electrician with long hair and full beard. I've never had an issue with my bosses or customers over my looks people are usually just glad I'm there to fix their problems.

14. Heavy diesel mechanic for local transit company. And executive board member for ATU Local 627. Hair and beard as I wish.

15. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Chip Architect. Long hair all the time. Keep it in a ponytail for the office, not because I need to but because I use it to remind me to put my "work head" on.

Random chin-fuzz when I neglect to shave for a few days but I don't enjoy the feel of a beard.

16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I was a geologist with long hair and a goatee. Geologists are generally "earthy".

17. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    College professor. Cut off my long dreadlocks a month or so ago, but it wasn't a problem, so I "can." To get the job takes lots of school.

18. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Engineer and project manager. Hair is not an issue.

19. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    For most government jobs if you score highest on the test nothing else besides having a veteran with an honorable dischage status matters

20. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I'm a custoidian at the USPS. I had to take a skill assesment (multiple choice) test to be hired, and more tests for promotion. Hair and beard as I see fit.

*glad it wasn't a spelling test*