1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who has all the Flying-Vs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Endzeit96, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

May 6, 2013
    Northampton
    So i was watching feel good inc and fir the first time i noticed, hey, Murdocs got a flying V there, thats looks pretty cool. And now i want one.

Iv looked briefly online, and iv searched these forums but there doesnt seem to be any particular favourite model, infact there seem to be very few at all.

They must exist, there must be flying v bass owners, there must be other people who would buy them and i think some are here, so.

I want a flying v bass whos primary function is to look absolutely epic, however, it must also sound good (not orgasmic but i will accept nothing below mediocre) and it cant cost more than way too much (somewhere £200-£400) your opinions please :)

2. deans or older gibsons, pretty much it as far as I can tell. I want one too.

3. 3l3phantstomp

3l3phantstomp Doesn't Welcome Our New Overlords

Jun 6, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
  4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I'm the proud owner of an early 1981 Kramer Vanguard Series Special Bass VNB1 officially, but commonly called a flying V because that's what it is. This is the Kramer with the aluminum neck and split fork headstock and is black. I've had it 15 years or so. Talk about not seeing any flying V's, these are rarely seen anywhere. Good luck in your quest. :cool:

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Got a Hondo V(Dimarzio P pickups, bargain find on eBay with original case) and a Davison V(cheapo, P/J, but looker in white).

From all I've read on them, the Gibson and Epi's leave something to be desired as far as sound quality with the Epi's sounding better than Gibsons. The Hondo sounds excellent and the Davison is to be upgraded with Seymour Duncan quarter pounders. Don't be afraid of checking out a non-Gibson or non-Epi, they work nicely and sometimes save you quite a few £££...

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    As someone who has owned a Flying V (guitar), I highly recommend NOT getting one. Playing them while sitting down is a major PITA.

7. I have a 2011 Gibson Flying V bass. I love it. It has T-bird pups but is short scale. Initially playing seated was awkward but after a while you figure out that the inside of the V sits well on your right leg while seated. These have been discontinued but you may be able to find one in stock for $899 USD.

This is not my newest bass nor my most expensive but it has been my go to bass for the past year.

8. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

May 6, 2013
    Northampton
    Thanks guys (and/or girls, not entirely sure) feel free to put up some pics of any you may own, and as far a playing seated goes, im used to wearing my strap far too loose, i cant play seated anyway cos my left arm gets crushed :-/

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have a black Epiphone from the 90s that i'm not playing, just sits in it's case in the closet.

10. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Fernandez makes a pretty cool one.

11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I had a Korina Ibanez back in the late '70's. Cool bass, long scale, wish I still had it.

12. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

May 6, 2013
    Northampton
    Would you be at all interested in selling?

13. Murdoc's Flying V is a Gibson that Damon Albarn apparently actually owns in real life which is pretty interesting, you'd be pretty lucky to ever find one in that price range though unfortunately.

14. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    All the Flying Vs have flown south for the winter.

15. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    ABSOLUTELY!
    But I gather you're not in the USA, is that correct?

16. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

May 6, 2013
    Northampton
    No im in the UK, but given that the kind of thing im after this hard to find i may be up to paying shipping costs, we can talk details on facebook or a messenger on here if you want? Id rather not disclose deals publically and i dont know how to work the IM on this app so could you message me? Thanks

17. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've got a Dean flying V. Looks epic, sounds ok with the right EQ, and is hands down has the worst ergonomics of any bass I've ever played. I think it was on sale for $199 new when I impulse bought it.

I take it to gigs every once in a while as a goof. Then I remember I hate the neck after playing it for one song. It's a baseball bat with what feels like a zero radius fretboard.