Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who has an Orange Squeeze or similar clone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Dec 30, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've been tempted by the Analogman Mini Bi-Comp for a very long time, but for my needs I think it is a little on the expensive side, I'm currently using a Ebs Multi Comp for 2 band compression and limiting, this pedal to me is very transparent and I really like the tone so I am reluctant to replace it with say a mini bi-comp as I don't really know if I will like the tone of it.

But what I have found is that one of my favourite players Tony Levin was using a Bi-Comp but only seemed to be using the Juicer (Orange Squeeze) side of the circuit, so I've started to look at clones of those and those are not very expensive (well the analogman one still is) but there are lots of clones of this simple circuit and I'm wondering if it would be a good purchase for tone instead of compression.

What I mean is keep my ebs running all times as it is anyway and use a Orange Squeeze to give me that Tony Levin type of tone. It also occured to me that it could possible function as a boost before my overdrive, giving me a more overdriven sound without giving me an increase in volume.

So what do you guys think?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I frequently rave about the Citrus Squeeze clone by Vintage Tone Project. They did a careful job selecting uncommon parts, and the sound is great. They were also good about replacing (for free) the dc jack after I damaged it. The effect can get a mild musical squish or a gritty, slightly clipping squash depending on how you set the bias pot. It's a good compressor for when you like to hear the compression as an effect.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Have you tried any other Orange Squeeze clones I'm wondering how similar they are to each other.

The one I'm interested in the most is the Tonefactor Squeeze Factor http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Squeeze

Can you also get your clone to act like a clean boost (obviously with compression as well)?

Thanks

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Got a link for the citrus squeeze?

5. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    im building my own orange squeezer, basically there are 3 types of compressor in pedal format,
    Orange squeezer clone
    Ross clone: the EBS , A.M., keeley
    optical: BBE, Aphex ,Demeter, Maxon Etc.
    if you want really good subtle compression get an optical compressor, if you want Tony Levin,'you can call me Al 'slap break
    get a Ross clone or Orange Squeezer, becuase they are usd as an EFFECT.
    for me i like a really thick bottom at gigs but i also like the effect when i playing slap, so i think i'd go for a ROss clone , eventually i will build one myself, maybe you should look into building as well, its not that hard.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  7. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    might as well stick with the aphex or bbe, they are much much cheaper and just as good , these are all optical

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Thats the one I'm after see my post above ;)

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK

Only I'm not after transparent compression, I already have that with the ebs.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  11. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    no the EBS is a Ross clone, its not an optical compressor, although it probably sounds like one because it's a very subtle Ross clone.

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I wasn't disputing whether it is a ross clone or not, I was just saying it's transparent and that I want a different type of compression for other sounds

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    In think I borrowed a regular Bi-CompROSSor (3 knob version) and it was simply the finest stomp compressor I've ever heard.

So, I want to the Ross side for tapping and the Juicer side to simulate that fretless "mwhua". Such a compressor will always find uses.

FTR, I use a rack mount dBX 160X for my "transparent compression".

If you only want the juicer though, Analogman makes that single circuit, and I see them on the 'Bay occasionall for $120.00-$140.00.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Everyone seems to ignore the Boss CS-3, but I'm tellin' ya: for that clicky, crushed, synthy kind of color, it works very nicely - and I don't percieve that it sucks low-end to any appreciable degree. Now that's with the 'sustain' knob turned-up; turn it down, and it's a great limiter for slap playing.

It has an attack control and a tone control - as well as input and out put gains - I really like mine.

I also use mine for a treble-boost. I keep the tone knob at 3:00 to 3:15; to my ear, about 12:15 is 'flat'.

Joe

15. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    the squeeze factor is a great pedal. it is made by a guy i know, bob mcbroom. he also makes his own line of pedals, pedalworx.com. i have his mcsqueeze which is the same circuit as the squeezefactor, but it has a switch instead of a blend knob. we actually talked about it this morning, anyway i love my pedal for bass or guitar. it has been a part of my rig for several months now.

btw bob is a great guy but i am not affiliated with him. i bought my pedal from him like everyone else.

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Whats the boost like on the pedal, I did look at the Mcsqueeze but the Squeeze Factor is cheaper and orange :p

17. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    the boost is just a transparent clean boost. there is a lot of boost available. the mcsqueeze has a switch to switch between boost or compresion. the squeezefactor has a knob to blend between boost and compression. the squeezefactor is newer and wasn't out when i bought my mcsqeeze. otherwise i would have gone with the sqeezefactor. you cant go wrong pricewise, though. bob makes every pedal himself. so you are paying for a handwired pedal. again bob is not my employer or in my band or anything like that. he is a local so i like to plug his stuff. (but i also play through his stuff) anyway there are a lot of compressors out there, this one just works for me.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Ace I'll be pulling the trigger on this sometime this week, thanks for the very very helpful answers.

Oh and if you speak to him before I lay down my money on an analogman chorus is he planning on building a high quality chorus.

:D

Cheers

19. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i'll give you his # if you via pm if you would like to discuss things with him. to my knowledge he isn't going to make a chorus pedal anytime soon. he mostly makes fuzzes and such. matter of fact, i think eric johnson has one of his hellbillies. (not sure if it's in his stage rig or not)

oh, ask him if he has any blem cases. that's what mine was and it was alot cheaper. the front just had a little smudge on it.

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Ah ok thanks for that, I'll just buy through tonefactor it's cheaper enough especially international shipping :p thanks anyway though