Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who has an unusual amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImSquare17, Jan 3, 2006.

1. I'm a bit obsessed with unusual/unique amps, if anybody's got a sweet unusual amp please tell us all about it!

Myself I've got a Pignose B100VH, not unheard of, but definitly not an industry standard. The thing sounds great, ever since I've gotten it I've been in tone heaven, rich, smooth, round and warm!

Let's see those weirdos!

2. I have an old tube PA head that i got out of a church. It is almost like an old fender champ, one input, one volume, and one tone control, It has the greatest overdrive sound. It might be 15 watts and is the size of an old metal lunchbox with the tubes sticking out the top. No pictures yet.

3. 1960's Ampeg portaflex.

Not that unusual, but not the norm.

4. I also know a guy in town that has what looks to be an Ampeg portaflex with 2x12's in it. I thought they all had 15's or 18's?

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I owned three Standels, two were great and one was mediocre. Currently they would be odd, way back when very accepted.
    Used to have Gretsch "Pro-Bass", It was better than a Gibson "Dual Hawk" Guitar amp for bass, but not by much.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

6. I've never seen a 2x12, I've only seen 1x15 or 1x18. Mine is a 1x15.

7. I think it had an input for accordion on it. I am scared to go and try it out because I will have to buy it then. its just to cool.

8. accordian! nice.

9. You had a Grestch Pro Bass?? I've had my eye on one of those for a while, though I've never played through one. What's the sound like? Could you possibly make a review of it? thanks!

10. Wesley R

and had many models within the series includinga 2X15.
    The 2X12 kinda had a tierd style and some clled it the wedding cake amp. Check out the Ampeg book, tons of cool info.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The old tube ones are worth serious coin now, and some of them sound amazing for jazz or country guitar. I have one that was too hacked to restore, but I made a nice bass preamp out of it. The solid state ones were pretty common in the early 70s though.

Used to have Gretsch "Pro-Bass", It was better than a Gibson "Dual Hawk" Guitar amp for bass, but not by much.

I had a 60's Gibson Titan head, which had four 6L6s and sounded quite good for bass after a little massaging, actually.

Oh, yeah: I also have a 1940 Gibson tube amp with a field coil speaker that someone gave me. I have a friend who collects old Gibsons, so I'm passing it along to him for restoration.

12. What do you mean by wedding cake amp. How much is it $$. Is it worth checking out.

13. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    I have a Magnatone 441a Starlite Bass amp and a Fender Musicmaster Amp, both tube & 12 watts, and a (see other post) non-functional Sears 60BXL solid state amp.

I play mostly with a couple of friends who use only low 1-5 watt tube amps, so 12 watts with effects seems more than enough.

14. Has anyone played a Gibson Thor Bass Combo?

15. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    Tried one at a local GC a while back, sounded a little thin compared with modern stuff but I thought it was pretty cool for practice or playing with other low watt amps. This one needed a new back cover and that might have made it sound thinner than usual.

16. Wesley R

The(wedding cake) ones that I am familiar with were 2X12, our guitarist had a couple, one with ALTECS (LOUD) and one with Jensens. probably work for bass but were a guitar/accordian amp with darned good reverb. 4 powewr tubes, probably 6L6's but ia m guessing. Like all Ampegs, not light.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

17. I have an acoustic 270 head wich I run into a sunn 6x10. Its a guitar head, but it works pretty good as a bass head with some eqing. Also it has built in fuzz( kinda crappy) and tremelo( has a few good sounds). This combo cuts through very well. I love it, altough I plan on adding a peavey mk4 and a 2x15 because I love hauling around large and heavy gear :) .

18. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    I used to own Solton Bk100 combo. It was nice.

19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    my buddy in the northwest has a couple of oliver bass amps...
    one has the amplifier built in it in a way that when you turn it on, the amp raises up out of the cabinet...switch it off, and it goes back inside.
    here's the history, it's an ampeg related company:
    http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=100
    cheers
    doug