Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who has better Basslines?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Uforia, May 2, 2002.

1. Ok I saw a movie called Empire Records yesterday.
    In it at the end two of the characters were discussion about bands and which ones had the better basslines.
    The two bands they were discussion the Pixies and Primus. One felt that Primus had the beter basslines,
    the other said that the pixies had much better basslines.

My quetions is who really has the better basslines?
    You may give your opinion on the two in the discussion as well as add other bands your feel have better basslines.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Wasn't GWAR in that movie?

;)

3. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Seymour Duncan. :p

4. The Pixies have the best basslines on this side of the Pacific. I spent an entire year of math classes listening to "Death to the Pixies" and they're just pure genius.

5. Yes they were in the fantasy scene, until they tried to kill him in it.:p

6. i think both fit the music perfectly. and i like the music of the pixies better. so i guess that means my vote goes to kim deal.

7. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I dont think of a bassline as being better than another, but as being different. Each does its job in the music.

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The Pixies have more musical basslines, while Primus has flashical basslines. I'll take Kim Deal.

9. I like older Primus, but I like ALL Pixies! Apples and oranges, though. DHC said it best.
    ~Ad

10. Yup, it was part of the Saddam a go-go video. Mark was munchin on hash brownies and hallucinated that he was playing guitar with GWAR, until they fed him to the World Maggot. I love that movie, BTW.

As for the topic, I've never heard the Pixies, as far as I know. Primus has unique basslines, but thats about the only comment I can offer.

11. Chaos! You've never heard of The Pixies!?! BLASPHEMER!
    You actually probably have HEARD them, you just didn't know it.
    Nirvana was heavily influenced by them, I think they did a Pixies cover once. You probably have heard "Wave of Mutilation" or "Velouria", both songs saw a decent amount of airplay at one time.

I remember my best friend in 10th grade was going to start an anti-Gwar band with me. He was hellbent on getting popular just by saying we were out to imprison Gwar. He was also the guy who wanted to start a Kiss cover band and call ourselves "Smooch".
    Luckily, niether happened.

~Ad

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Whose basslines fit the bands music better? Both fit. Who is a more technically skilled bassit? Claypool, obviously! Is Kim Deal's bass contribution valuable to the sound of the Pixies? Clearly! Is this like asking, "Who cans a better can of tuna, Ford or Microsoft?" Yes. ;)

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I want to start a GWAR tribute band (I'd be known as Pseudo Oderus), but living in Appleton, Wisconsin, I know it would go over like a lead balloon in church. I'm always surprised when I find someone in this rinky-dink, candy apple town that has even heard of GWAR!

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I saw some kind of documentary on the Pixies a week or two ago... where all these celebrities (David Bowie, Jarvis Cocker of Pulp, etc.) sat and declared the aforementioned band as some kind of musical geniuses. I was like, hey, have I missed something that great? So I continued to watch the programme, waiting to hear some of their work.

Then came some live footage from a concert, and wasn't this the biggest disappointment I've ever had in my life, I don't know what was. What a load of crap.

15. Ah well. Each mouse will have it's own favorite cheese.

16. It can sometimes be a shocker when you listen to something your favorite celebs like.
    I was watching a special about Nine Inch Nails because they are such a bangin' band (plus everyone knows that Trent is GOD)
    and Trent was talking about how much some band called JOY DIVISION rocked his world...
    Well, I picked up some CD from them and they suck. Their cover of NIN's "Dead Souls" really sucked.

Then there was a special on KoRn and they said something about FAITH NO MORE and MR.BUNGLE starting the whole "Rap Core" sound. So I picked up a couple albums from them and they sound awful! They don't even have any songs about their daddy abusing them or about the wonders of Pot or anything. Very dissappointing! I mean, what is "IT" anyway? Is "IT" pot? If "IT" is, then they might be a little cooler then I thought. Their drummer was OK, but he just sounded like he was ripping off that "Puffy" guy who drums for Ozzy.

I went to a Rob Zombie show recently, you guys would not believe this crappy band who opened for them! Their material was such a blatant rip-off of Rob's stuff! I can't believe Rob likes them!
    They were called "THE DAMNED". They should be called "The Dumb Band Who Likes To Rip-Off Rob Zombie"! They did a cover of "Smash" by The Offspring and "New Rose" by GnR!
    Everyone started throwing stuff at them until they left the stage!

Edited for extensive sarcasm.

~Ad

17. Red Hot Chili Peppers (californication is of the best)
    Primus ( Eclectic electric and too many puppies)
    Metallica (Seek and destroy, Master of puppets)
    Tool (Schism is so cool)

18. So out of the two, Primus has better basslines according to you? :confused:

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that he didn't read the whole thread.

20. I like Primus and the Pixies. How ever I don't think that either of thier basslines are something real great.
    I think they both have good basslines. As well as some of the other bands mentioned.
    How ever to me a really good bass line is one that you can feel over all the other music and things going on.
    Also it reach you on a point that makes you feel the music and has feeling to it.