Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who has gk? pros and cons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fifthorange, Aug 28, 2004.

1. fifthorange

fifthorange

Mar 13, 2004
    i wanted to know who has gallien-krueger equipment, what you have, and what are the likes and dislikes about it?

2. I don't own any yet, but I intend on it.

What I like about the tone though, is that it's nice a clean, and can get plenty of grit if you mess with the eq enough.

Hopefully Daniel Elliot can answer some more of your questions.

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i have a gk 1001rb/210 combo. the pros are that it sounds great and is easy(ish) to transport (it's still a heavy sob). the con is that it sounds so good i am thinking of getting rid of my swr stack.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have a Backline 250 - the only dislike about it is its just 125W @ 8 Ohms...
    Oh and another dislike is that they are quite pricey here...

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have an 800rb pushing a tweeterless 15 and an Eden 210T. The thing is a tank and i got it new at Guitar Center for under $500 after tax. It's loud, it's clear, and the biamp mode adds to the flexibility, though it's rarely practical to use live. The EQ adjustments are simple, but I haven't found a great range of useable tones in there. The stock one with all knobs flat is pretty sweet, however, and it does let the tone of your bass+cabinet shine through nicely. Built like a tank, too. Unless you find a smoking deal though, I'd recommend one of the newer GK's, as the 800rb lacks certain amenities that seem standard in today's higher-tech amps.

6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I currently have two GK products. I have a old (15 -20 yrs.) 400RB that still works like a charm without one problem EVER, and an 1001RBII that I bought this past Spring. I run that head with a Bergantino HT/EX 112 pair, and I couldn't be happier. Loud, punchy tone that cuts like a knife through the mix. It however, is not the warmest sounding amp going, but that is not the reason I purchased it. I needed an amp that could be heard in a rock band setting with headroom to spare. I had read good things about this particular set up on this very forum. (thanks guys!) To say I am satisfied with this amp, would be a huge understatement! There is not a gig that goes by that I am not complimented on my tone. I do give a huge amount of credit to the GK-Berg combo.

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have a BL 250 head which is ok. It sounds good but it's really weak, but I have a 410BLX which I love but it doesn't have a tweeter.

8. I own a GK-400-210 combo that i really like, hasnt given me a problem, and i'll be moving into the 1001 series in the near future.

Things i dont like about it.. is that there isnt enough headroom on the combo (hence me trading up).

Also im looking to pair it up with a 410 cab. i really liked em with the RBH 410 BUT price wise it doesnt work out for me.

An Eden 410XLT - $1700ish
    A Mesa Boogie 410 - $1900
    LabSystems 610 - $2000ish
    SWR Goliath 3 - $1900ish

GK 410 - $2600.. and ive been shopping for a lower price.

I'd be VERY happy with any of the above.. but Eden's lookin a winner here.

9. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I have a GK 210 RBS, my only problem with it is I have trouble getting warmth out of the speakers, they are very clear which is good for some times, but there are time when I like more warmth.

10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Have some experience with an 800RB.
    Thought it was cool to have the built in biamp, went loud enough. Sounded clean, uncolored. I found the amp's tone to be unremarkable. Rather than having a certain sound, it reflected the bass plugged into it. Ultimately preferred the warm sound of tubes, and it was sold, but a good amp for the $.

11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I use a 1001rb as my main head & a 700rb as a backup/rehearsal head. I've never had a bit of trouble from either one and they've always delivered clean, solid power from a nice lightweight package.

The only con I have is that so many people think they're more succeptible to dying than any other brand amp out there. Not true in my experience.

12. I have a GK-MB150-E. Very portable, and a great sound for such a small box. These have been discussed in other threads (use search). My advice would be to have your tech do the ECOs and clean the switching-contacts of all the sockets, as the MB150 has a reputation for intermittent problems - I don't know if other GK equipment suffers from the same problem.

- Wil

13. I'm currently looking into the 700RB 1x15 combo right now, but first what I'm looking into is how many watts at eight ohms of the 320 it has will be put out alone, and also the reliablility of these amps, seeing as I have heard some horror stories about them burning out and such.

14. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a 1001RB II, a 700RB/112 combo and an older 400RB. I run the big one through an Avatar 210 and 212. I run the combo alone or with an Avatar 112. I run the 400 through all of them at different times and use it for most practices and as a back-up in the trunk. I have had no problems with the 1001RB II or the 400RB. I have recently replaced the pre-amp in the 700RB/112. I wanted the new pre-amp voicing and I had some trouble with it in the past.

I love GKs. Great tone, power, versitility.

15. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use an older 700RB with 2 Avatar CB112s. It sounds awesome-- loud, punchy, clear. It's a great amp. And it's only 18 lbs.!! ;)

16. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I bought an older used 800RB as a spare last year when I was having some problems with my III Pro. It's in excellent shape and came with an Anvil case for $325 - a great deal IMO. I agree with the previous comments - it's not the warmest sounding amp. It's clean, clear and punchy with basic tone shaping capability. It cuts through the mix well. I haven't used the bi-amp feature. I find it more than loud enough for my needs and it is absolutely bulletproof - a proven design and a real workhorse. If you can get one in good shape for $300-$400 grab it. Otherwise go for a modern amp with more flexibility. But as a good solid reliable amp it's tough to beat.

17. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I have the 700RB-I/115 combo amp and it sounds amazing. I have rarely heard a better amp. My dream set-up would be an SVT-4 Pro with a GK 410 and an Eden 210.

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Never owned a GK, but probably played through a RB800 dozens of times. They seem to be the most common amp that sound companies provide. They are reliable and sound good, but they do sound very solid state. I imagine that many soundmen are used to working with them.

As far as GK cabs, I've never been a fan of them.

19. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm still using the 400RB I got for Christmas in 1987. Most of the time I play it through a 4 ohm EA Wizzy 1x12 cab and it sounds fabulous with both electric and double bass. This rig weighs a total of about 42 pounds and gets really loud for its size. The old 400/800RBs don't go incredibly deep, but they are voiced to get the most out of the power they have, and they're built like proverbial tanks. If you get an old one be sure to clean out the jacks with contact cleaner, as they tend to oxidize. If this happens to the FX return jack you'll get an intermittent signal, but it's easy to fix.

When the amp had a problem in the boost circuit I drove it to the GK factory (I live 50 miles away) and they fixed it in less than a week, charging me only for labor. As far as I can see, GK has done a lot to address the reliability and service issues they were plagued with a few years back.

I also had a 200MB that served me well until I made the foolish mistake of checking it as airline baggage in its padded bag. Never did work right after that, fried itself out and I didn't bother fixing it. I'd definitely consider getting a 10001RB/II.

One of my favorite things about GKs is that the boost control provides enough makeup gain to use the FX return as a power-amp input for instrument level preamps. I've done this with the SansAmp Bass Driver DI, the Fishman Platinum Bass EQ, the LR Baggs Para-DI, and a Boss Graphic EQ, with great results. It's a good way to totally change your tone for not much $$$.

20. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I have a GK MB150 that I used with an Eden 210 and a GK 115 for a number of years. The MB150 is nice and light. But it has WAY too much top end. The 115 speaker was the biggest-sounding 15 I could find at the time. The whole rig went through lots of gigs, some of which were LOUD.

Pro's - light and nice tonal quality.
    Con's - There's a distictive GK sound - I grew tired of it.

BTW, the MB150 sounds great with a fretless Godin strung with TI faltwounds, expecially though an EA NL210. Nice for a club jazz combo.