who has/had a 4x8 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmpiwonka, Jun 7, 2004.

1. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i'm really curious how electric bass sounds through a cab with small drivers like 8's.
    i'm thinking about getting one since i'm most likely going to be doubling on electric and upright bass, so i'm thinking the quicker response of the smaller driver would be ideal, but how about the low end reproduction?
    is it adequate with just four or six 8's?

what about a ported or sealed enclosure it seems a port would help with low end?
    is there any kind of cab that is sealed anymore, seems all are ported.

this would be powered by 275w @ 8ohms or 400w @4ohms.

i'm thinking i might just order an avatar 2x12 and hope for the best, also looked at the acme cabs too, seem pretty sweet too.
  2. I have an Ashdown Mini48 - a 4 x 8 cab, 8 ohms, 620 watts power handling.

I fin dit really amazing - loud, good tones, and very portable (only 25kgs).

It handles down to the low B fine (I play 5 stringers from time to time) - which is all I need of it. I generally play it in conjunction with a Mini 15 - which cimpliments it nicely I think!

For what it's worth, the cab is ported at the rear - 2 ports neare the bottom. It's bottom end is very nice! :)
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I played an all ashdown rig, EVO-300 into 2, 4x8 mini cabs.

It sounded good to me. I was well inpressed. Tight and good lows.
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Steve Lawson used to use a ashdown mini 4x8 he said they were great.

I'm thinking about getting this cab to go with my combo as my hartke is just to big for me to haul around. But I play alot with my five string so the mini 1x15 may end up being better as my combo is only a single 10".

I've not heard a single bad thing about 8x8, 4x8's people tend to recomend having another cab for the lows but I don't know. I played through a powered peavey 2x8 once and while it sounded dead digitally and flat if u know what I mean. (1980's dod EQ pedal into the back of a second hand 100w powered bass speaker). It did have some good lows. for the size and my complaint were on the tone of that POS speaker not 8's in general.

SWR use to make a 4x8 I know they still make an 8x8 but this might be a bit large
    Ashdown seems to be reigning king of the 4x8 but hey what do know ;)

For what ur saying a 2x10 or 1x12 might be better but again I've never played a double bass so have no idea what sort of speaker is best for amplification. But if your set on a 4x8 go ashdown, everyone else is. :D

Hope this helps
  5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ampeg also made a 4x8 called the SVT-48E I believe
  6. I have the Ampeg 4 X 8" B2 combo. They did offer the 4 X 8" cabinet for a while. The cabinet has 2 rear ports and a HF horn. The 8's have a lot of excursion and handle lows really well. For larger stages I add a 1 X 15" but that is pretty seldom.
  7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got the Ampeg 4x8. It's important to think in terms of speaker surface when comparing cabs. A 2x15 has slighlty less surface area than a 4x8. Mine is very punchy with good lows -- it's rear ported and has a bypassable tweeter. I bought it to be the top of a bi-amp rig but ended up liking the sound of the tweeter in my BE coax a bit better, even though I can't bypass it. I've been thinking about selling or trading my Ampeg, PM me if you're interested.
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I believe that SWR's 4x8" was the original "Silverado" before being reworked into a 2x12" and renamed "Silverado Special". Just for fact's sake. ;)
  9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    There's a SWR Henry Jr. 4x8 up on E- BAY.
  10. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    yeah i saw that.
    looks interesting.
  11. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
  12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Where did you get that maths from?!! 200 sq.in. for the 4x8", 700 sq.in. for the 2x15".

13. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Speaker Surface Area doesn't mean poop anyway.
  14. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, I've been wrong before, how am I supposed to calculate it? Is it pi (R) squared?
  15. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I thought it was (speaker size)*(pi)*(number of speakers)

So 4x8= 50.24

2x15= 94.2
  16. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    It's a bit more complicated than that though. Larger speakers such as 15s and 18s tend to have much more proportionate cone surface area than smaller drivers like 5s, 8s, and 10s. However, the smaller speakers have disproportionately larger Xmax's and motor strengths.

And by the way, if you want to calculate the area of a circle ( it's actually a cone, but what the heck... ) it's number of speakers*pi*r^2
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Scroll down on this page and also check out this thread.

Different configurations are discussed and reviewed. The guys at LDS will custom build just about anything you request.
  18. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Actualy you are all wrong, it's Pi*r squared times the number of speakers, which someone gave that but not the correct calculations.

215 = 352.25 inches squared
    410 = 314 inches squared
    4-8 = 200,96 inches squared

pi*diameter is circumference

I belive that speaker area is irrelevent by itself, but when you combine it with sensitivity you get a more general idea of the cab. Because more cone area means you can push more air, with a better sensitivity it's easyier to push that air.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have played through the SWR 4x8, and to me, it didn't seem like a viable stand alone cab, although I'm sure it would pair up well with either a 1x15 or 1x18. I happen to own a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse, Jr., which is a 4x18 with a 12" and a tweeter. It has tons of midrange punch, as you might expect, but also really needs another cab with stronger lows. I will second the above advice about the VL-208's. Two (or better yet, three!) of these rank up there with the best possible rigs of all time (IMHO, of course).

But from what you are describing, I cannot recommend the Low Down Sound cabs strongly enough. I have heard their 3x8, 4x8 and 5x8 (coax), all with long-throw 8's, and these cabs are simply amazing. I have heard that their 2x8's are the shiznit, too. Their prices are extremely good, and their cabs are extremely well made.

20. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002

yeah i read through the whole LDS thread and i think i'm gonna give them a call and see what the prices look like and how much all that stuff weighs.
    i'm thinking a 5x8 will be sweet.