Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who has narrow spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 'JC', Aug 28, 2005.

1. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I want to know who has basses with spacing so narrow, you can't slap, or others have commented it's a bad bass for slapping.

2. although I loved the tone of it, my Warwick 6 thumb was hard for me to slap, but I wish I had it back!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My Hamer 5 string.... I bought it to defret so I didn't care about the tightness (at the time). It's 5 strings on a 4 string sized neck. Plays great fingerstyle :cool:

but I'm LOVING the 19mm @ bridge and switched to 6 string these days so I don't take it out much anymore.

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Warwick comes to mind more than any other brand.

I can't slap to save my face from a meat grinder, but I've learned that I can't do with any less than 19mm spacing (for a 5 string). It just feels right.

5. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Glad to see I'm not alone on Warwicks.
    This thread was inspired by my Streamer 5.

6. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    You can get some pretty tight string spacings on a 4 string Fender Jazz with a Badass II.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A lot of lower-end Korean made basses have very tight spacing on their five-strings. I remember my Samick had something along the lines of 16 or 16.5 mm spacing. VERY tight...I learned to slap on that bass though, so to this day tighter spacing is a tad more comfortable for slapping.

8. My 5 has 16.5mm spacing and I've learned to slap fine on it.

9. people say the Cirrus, though I had no problem from the get go and actually seem to lik it a tad. Then again I don't really have anything with wide spacing

10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Warwick is well aware of their string spacing "issue". What I DID"NT like was their decision to offer a whats called a BO or Broad Neck Option which gives you wider string spacing......for over a $300 upcharge :eyebrow: I think 19mm is becoming the standard in 5 strings for most companies/luthiers with tighter spacing being an option.

11. Ibanez SR 5 and 6 strings have, I think 16 or 16.5mm string spacing, The 4 strings seem alright to me, Its probably the same as a Geddy Lee jazz. They have wider spacing on the BTB series.

12. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The Samick Fairlane 6-string I used to have had super tight string spacing. The neck was 2" at the nut and only 3.1" at the heel, effectively making it the narrowest-spaced 6-string I've ever played.

13. There's not spacing so tight that you can't slap that I know of. Jean Baudin slaps on 15mm spacing.

14. I've had a couple of Modulus Q6's which were a little tough for me to slap on, but I got used to it after playing it a while.

15. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    My Ibanez EDC705 20.5mm at nut, 67mm at the 24th fret. I have no problem slapping it all, in fact I feel quite comfortable slapping on it. It's all about practice and getting to know your bass, I think.

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

try to play higher ground (the RHCP version) on it at the songs original tempo and youll show me how much you know your bass.

17. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    When I got my Alembic I ordered it with narrower than normal spacing at the nut. It makes for a very comfortable 5 string, but slapping is a bit tough. Not that I care too much. It's slightly narrower than jazz spacing.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I used to have an ESP J5 that was very narrow. Too narrow for comfort.

19. True.

I thought that when I heard Ben Lacy doing slap stuff on guitar and realized what a big baby I was complaining about the 17mm spacing on the Moduli. :)

Here's a clip:
    http://www.benlacy.com/Track_01.mp3

20. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I like super tight spacing. My Mouradian is the tightest I have now, used to have a pencil necked Vox that was fun. I don't slap my basses. It only teaches them to solve their problems with violence.