Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who has never had a fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 16, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They are one of the most common basses out in the market and I have not personely owned one , anyone else never own a Fender?.

2. It depends on how you mean Fender Bass. I've not owned one made under the Fender brand name, but my G&L L2000 was designed and built by Leo Fender's (and George Fullerton's, can't leave him out...) last company. They couldn't use the Fender name, as they had sold the rights to it. Does that count as a "Fender Bass" or not for your question? In my mind, Leo Fender was more important than the copyright on his last name...

3. I never owned a fender....the only fender I want is maybe a fretless Afinnity...thats it.

I don't like fender,to trendy and overrated...

-Jon
    :oops:

4. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I've never owned an actual Fender - I have a Yamaha that is a p-bass copy, but that's as close as I've ever gotten. Now that I think about it, I've never even PLAYED a Fender. Hmmm.

5. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Proud to say I've never owned a Fender. Sorry, that sounds tacky, doesn't it?

There was a Precision Light that was one of three finalists when I was bass shopping once. It was not what I eventually chose though.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've played many.
    Never owned one and don't intend to.

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I have 2 G&L basses, but never had a Fender... although I've just begun my FrankenFender project which will be built around a jazz neck and precision body.

8. oh! another fender I'd consider owning is the Mark Hoppus Signature...I like that bass alot!

-Jon:oops:

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    And Fender is too trendy for you?
    ;) :D J/K

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I owned a P-bass a few years ago for a very short time. It sounded cool, but I couldn't tweek the sound much other than the tone control. I prefer to have a lot of tonal variations with my basses. I try Fenders a lot, and I really haven't found one 5 string that sounded good to me. I do think some of the 4's sound good, but they really are hit or miss. Bottom line is that I'd never own a Fender, but I'd probobly buy a Lull.

11. i haven't, but i'm only 20. i fully intend to get a precision.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have a Squier P which I am in the process of defretting, if that counts.

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I rather smugishly avoided Fenders for a long time. The aesthetics didn't do anything for me, and they just seemed so plain and basic. I'd played a few over the years, and I really didn't like any of them.

Then I found a MIA J in a pawnshop that a local touring bassist had let go. It has the vibe. That bass convinced me what a Fender can do under the right circumstances. Then a friend from AGB decided to let his hotrodded MIM P go, and I gave it a try, it's also one of those 'special' Fenders.

I still try random examples of the species when I come across them. So far, the great ones have been few and far between for me.

Recently discovered G&L, and I think these are more my style. Really digging this ASAT. It's sort of the rude, belligerant, loud-talking inbred cousin of my Fenders.

I used to be a hard-core Carvin-worshipper/Fender-naysayer... Over the past couple of years I feel like I've become more balanced in my appreciation of any worthy brand/maker. There are lots of cool basses out there, and I'm trying not to overlook any of them because of youthful un-informed prejudices I used to hold. I guess I am a little biased toward the whole custom-building process, but there's still lots of nice basses out there.

I do like their guitars though! Tele's are unbeatable! Or eminently beatable, depending on your perspective. Ours has taken lots of abuse.
    Big fan of the Thinlines too. Love my '69 RI.

14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Sorry Osama - I couldn't let this go by without comment...Fender trendy? Well, I guess if playing bass on an electric bass guitar is the trend these days, they did start that trend back in the late 50's...

I have yet to own a fender myself, but I do have a cheap P clone and I wan't a good J bass someday soon. If money was no object I'm sure I'd own a MIA Fender P as well as a J...but I'm poor so I play the knock-offs.

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've never owned one either. My school bought an MIM Precision for use in its official school band, I played it for a few minutes, and I thought it sucked. Hard. I hated the curved fretboad and the weak E string.

16. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have never owned one but I have tried many and in my hands they feel dead. I have a friend that swears by fender and owns about 15. One day I told him I cant stand fenders and he said "Well thats because you have never played a good one" and I said "your exactly right".

17. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Does my G&L count......I hope not:D

18. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    never had a fender, G&L, musicman, or any Leo designed product for that matter. I've always found them to be overpriced for what they are.

19. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm yet to play a really good fender as well. I doubt I'll ever own one- as stated before- overpriced. I like my Essex J knock-off every bit as much as the MIM fender that cost twice as much.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thought the same darn thing. If anything, everything ELSE is trendy...

I don't own one, though I would like to pick up an RB5 or a American Precision Deluxe (4 or 5).

Jazz necks are too skinny for me, but I like the Ps just fine. In fact, I'll probably own one sooner or later. Nice basses, those Ps.