1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who has owned and played a bass the longest?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Another thread got me wondering - some guys trade through basses like socks, others hold onto them.

How long have YOU owned and played the same bass?

I'm kicking this off with my '63 P - bought in 1967 and owned by me for 41 years:

P-bass.

And yes, it does have a 1972 neck because the truss rod broke in the original and I needed to use the bass fast. My parents bought this for me while I was in high school; I played it through high school and college, parked it for years, then picked it up at my parents' house and started playing again. I have about 8 basses, but this one means the most to me.

Tell your story and show your bass!

2. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Bought my Vantage VA900B back in the winter of 1981 and, up until around 2005, it was the only electric bass I played. I have since moved up in strings and play it largely for sentimental purposes. Getting rid of it would be like getting rid of an old friend... I just wouldn't do it! This bass and I saw a lot of the USA back when I was touring full-time...

[​IMG]

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I bought this on 8/11/83 and it is still my favorite bass today.

100_5096-1.

110_8346.

4. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I've had my '61 Jazz since 1979... It was a wreck when I bought it but I fixed it up. It's remained rather neglected until about three years ago after I fitted an East preamp and had it 'defretted'... now it's my favourite. Glad I hung on to it.

[​IMG]

5. My 1971 EB-0 that I've had since 1985 or so.

normal_EB-0body.

I just started using it again recently, so it's not like I've been playing it much beyond noodling at home since 1988.

6. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    I still have my 67 Guild Bluesbird Bass I bought in 1970, thats the best I can do.I bet you thought I was going to say I bought my 51's new. LOL no way I am that old!!!!!

7. Mine sat for a lot of years, too - as the guy who started the thread, I rule that it's no disqualification! :cool:

8. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    soft spot in my heart for this one

9. Bue92

Bue92

Dec 7, 2007
    Trondheim, Norway
    I'm too young :)

I like untraditional basses. I want them woody but I want them fresh. Still, I'd loove a really old P-bass!

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Me in 1976 with my slightly modified '74 Ric 4001, which I still own.

Dethslaker_Dave_76.

11. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    Around 1968, I worked bagging groceries to purchase my first bass which was a Kent Beatle style hollow body. A couple of years later, Jack Bruce made me buy my 1970 EB-3. :)

large.

large.

12. I still have the first bass I ever bought - a sunburst '72 Jazz, purchased in June, 1974.

-- Dan --

13. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I bought this Gibson Ripper in 1974 or 1975. The picture was taken 2 days ago.

I basically retired from playing bass in 1979, and the Ripper was the only bass I owned until two weeks ago (I bought a new G&L Tribute L-2000). I practice with both basses, and intend to play professionally again (the G&L, however, will be my primary bass).

View attachment 102421

View attachment 102426

14. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    bought my EB-3 in '77 and it was my only bass until about 4 years ago. still have, still play it.

eb-3.

from '79
    umdgig2.

15. That EB-3 is absolutely delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. I still have and play my '63 Gretsch single p/u hollowbody that I bought in April '67...

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Sweet!

That's an EB-3L right? Jack was my first big influence, after sir Paul and Motown/Kaye/Osborn, but jack propelled me into my current form.

I always wanted a slot head EB-3L! :D

BTW my second bass was a Beatle Bass clone. I think it was a Norma or an Eko.

18. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    Mines not as old as some here, but I bought this Wurlitzer "V" back in 1976. It weighs somewhere around 340 lbs, so I don't play it out anymore, but she still works! It was my regular gigging bass for 10 years or so. Too much sentimental value to sell.
    Frankenbass-1.

19. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID

Thanks but, it's the short scale and the short list of influences for me were the Beatles, Cream and Hendrix.

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Stingray02a.

I had this one for 12 years. I sold it 4 years ago, right after my divorce, to pay for furniture and crap......